Skip to main content


14:14 3th February 2012


Barnet secured all three points and their fourth league victory in succession by virtue of goals from Izale McLeod and Michael Hector and the fact that Crewe played with just nine men for the entire second half.
Barnet kept the same line-up that had won at Northampton Town the week previous, with new addition to the squad, Jordan Obita taking a place on the substitutes' bench.
Crewe were first out of the blocks and Barnet found it difficult to get a foothold in the game. Matt Tootle and Bryon Moore formed a formidable partnership down the right for the visitors and were causing numerous problems.
Indeed Moore came close to scoring when his effort hit the side netting, so close infact that the travelling Crewe supporters were convinced from their viewing angle that the ball had gone in the net.
A Moore delivery from the right was then nearly converted by Greg Pearson with the Railwaymen bossing the game.
Slowly however Crewe, having not made an inroad, allowed the Bees to come more into the game with a dangerous cross from Ricky Holmes almost leading to an opener.
With half an hour on the clock an inspired volleyed through ball from Sam Deering set up McLeod who was crudely felled by Crewe's David Artell. Penalty, red card, goal.
Crewe manfully tried to take the game to Barnet but their chances were reduced further when Adam Dugdale received a straight red card for a lunge on Holmes as half time loomed large. This possible harsh decision was to swing the balance of play considerably in Barnet's favour.
Crewe fashioned a 4-3-1 formation with Moore the loan striker, hoping that a moment of magic would bring them level. Barnet knew that a second goal would put the task beyond the visitors.
With over half an hour remaining Obita replaced Kamdjo and with a little juggling of the formation he took his place on the left wing.
Obita has tricks and pace in abundance and when the ball arrives at his feet you are inclined to think that something positive is likely to happen.
Mark Hughes, now a prolific header of goals for the Bees was almost on target when he headed against a post and he headed on a cross to the back post which McLeod nearly turned goalwards.
Michael Hector had been seeing a lot of the ball, either starting from right back or finding himself much further forward. On 77 minutes he powerfully forced the ball over the line from a delightful delivery from the left by Holmes to seal Barnet's victory.
This was some distance from Barnet's best performance of the season yet the players displayed a great deal of confidence throughout and they now seem to believe that games are there to be won.
The Bees visit Oxford United next Saturday.
David Bloomfield
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.