Skip to main content


11:55 12th April 2009


A second half headed goal from Paul Furlong was sufficient to see off the challenge of AFC Bournemouth at Underhill today and ensure that Barnet FC are playing in The Football League next season.

Ian Hendon made one change to his team with Adam Birchall starting in the place of top scorer John O'Flynn who'd sustained a hamstring injury during Tuesday's victory over Rotherham United.

Bournemouth's approach to the game was mainly to launch long diagonal balls in the direction of Lee Bradbury who was positioned in an advanced position on their right and this one dimensional ploy nearly paid an early dividend when Bradbury directed a header onto the cross bar.

The visitors enjoyed some territorial advantage in the first half and Jake Cole was often called upon to keep his side in the game with some quality goalkeeping. An uncharacteristic defensive slip by Gary Breen allowed Brett Pitman in on goal but the Bees keeper was equal to the challenge.

A snap shot by Bolasie went close for the Bees but the Cherries might consider themselves aggrieved not to have had a lead at the half time interval.

Post match Ian Hendon did report that he had made certain points firmly during the interval and his side's second half performance was a marked improvement.

Jason Pearce, the Cherries uncompromising centre back, was doing a good job marshalling Paul Furlong, but the wily veteran knows how to make the most of the chances that come his way. With just six minutes of the second half gone a deep cross by Kenny Gillet was met by the head of Furlong who expertly steered the ball into the corner of the net, 1-0 to the Bees.

Bournemouth's play became even more direct as the half wore on and they introduced a number of substitutes who were positioned in very attacking positions. This tactic acted to push the Bees back but Bournemouth were setting themselves up for the counter attack.

From one such move Birchall played a deft pass into the path of Albert Adomah who went on a trademark mazy run, attacking defenders and his fine left foot shot was tipped over for a corner by Shwan Jalal.

Bournemouth did continue to strive for an equaliser but their route one style was one that Barnet increasingly looked comfortable dealing with. Ismail Yakubu was again in fine form and countless times he won defensive headers and behind him Cole looked in commanding form.

Today's match was notable for Cole recording his third consecutive clean sheet, Barnet today clocking up their second "double" of the season and Furlong scoring his 200th league goal, all infront of their highest league attendance of the season.

Barnet play Aldershot on Easter Monday and then face Luton Town next Saturday at Underhill.

David Bloomfield.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.