Barnet Football Club



Barnet v Cheltenham

Barnet and Cheltenham Town played out a goalless draw in absolutely dreadful conditions at Underhill. 

A host of loyal Bees turned out on Saturday morning to help clear the playing surface and the game was given the go ahead despite snow continuing to fall throughout. 

The Bees made one change from Tuesday’s 2-0 win over Fleetwood Town with Elliot Johnson coming in to replace Jordan Brown. 

The away side started brightly but with the snow continuing to fall they were unable to threaten Graham Stack’s goal. 

With seven minutes played the Bees forced their first chance as Harry Crawford headed straight at Scott Brown from John Oster’s cross. 

Four minutes later the Robins appeals for a penalty were waved away when David Stephens controlled the ball and cleared. 

With seventeen minutes played former Bee Michael Hector showed his class as he picked out Paul Benson with a superb 40-yard pass but the forward shot wide. 

Three minutes later Jon Nurse saw his shot saved before David Stephens was harshly booked after colliding with Jermaine Mcglashan on 25 minutes. 

As the half wore on the snow got heavier and playing against the wind, up the slope the Bees were really up against it. 

Russell Penn’s fierce shot flew past Stack’s post but after a tough first-half for the Bees it was very much job done so far at half-time. 

The Robins started the second-half on the front foot and they almost took the lead when McGlashan’s cross deflected onto the post.

The Bees responded well however and went on the front foot with Oster leading the charge. He found Mark Byrne whose deflected shot was saved by Brown before the former Sunderland midfielder saw a shot of his own whisk past the post. 

Kyle De Silva came on for his debut with just under 25 minutes to play and the on loan Crystal Palace youngster made a big impression. 

On two occasions he picked up the ball on the right wing and jinxed his way past the Cheltenham defence and he was desperately unlucky not to score as Brown held onto his low shot late on. 

In the closing stages the Bees created more chances than their opponents but the tireless Byrne saw his first shot blocked by Hector before he shot just wide. 

It was very much a point gained for the Bees against a team pushing for automatic promotion. Next up for Edgar Davids’ side is a home match against Dagenham & Redbridge in six days before they take on AFC Wimbledon on Monday over a vital Easter weekend.