Barnet Football Club



Bristol Rovers v Barnet

Ryan Brunt secured a 2-1 win for Bristol Rovers in added time to stun Barnet who thought they had stolen a point when Harry Crawford equalised late on. 

Fabian Broghammer’s neat finish 12 minutes from time gave the home side the lead but Crawford’s first goal in black and amber looked to have sealed a point. 

Jack Hyde was again missed through injury as was Curtis Weston, but Head Coach and captain Edgar Davids returned to the starting line-up. 

Barnet paid the price for a slow start against Burton Albion and they again started on the back foot at the Memorial Stadium. 

After just four minutes the Pirates had a golden opportunity to take the lead but the lively Broghammer shot straight at Graham Stack from close range. 

Five minutes later he was again denied, this time by Andy Yiadom, as he latched onto Joe Anyinsah’s wayward shot only to have his own effort deflected narrowly over the bar. 

After weathering the early storm the Bees grew into the game and after 18 minutes they created their first opportunity of the match. 

Ibra Sekajja, who started down the right, burst past his man and crossed to John Oster who collided with Steve Mildenhall as the loose ball fell inches away from Jon Nurse. 

One minute later the home side almost stunned the dominant Bees as John-Joe O’Toole’s superb first-time volley fired straight into the hands of Stack. 

With half an hour played Ryan Brunt was found by a Broghammer corner but he was unable to get any power behind his header and it looped into the arms of Stack. 

Moments later Ricky Holmes signaled to the bench before being replaced by Harry Crawford after suffering what looked like a shoulder injury. 

The change did nothing to help the Bees’ rhythm and the home side ended the half as they began, but they were unable to find a way past the Barnet defence as the half ended 0-0. 

Both sides started the second-half brightly with chances falling to Andy Iro and Brunt within the opening five minutes. 

With the game in need of a moment of magic, player-manager Davids almost provided it when his 25-yard pile driver was palmed inches wide. 

The Bees continued to press and Nurse was next to try his luck but despite being in space he dragged his shot wide from 18-yards. 

With 12 minutes remaining it was ‘Hammertime’ as Broghammer latched onto Lee Brown’s pass before rounding Stack and finishing from an acute angle. 

The Bees responded well and Crawford almost capitalised on the hesitant Rovers defence but he blazed the ball over from six-yards. 

The forward redeemed himself with seconds of normal time remaining as he slotted the ball low past Mildenhall to make it 1-1. 

The ecstasy was short lived however for the travelling Bees as Brunt smashed the ball home with less than a minute of added time remaining. 

Bristol Rovers: Mildenhall, Smith, Parkes, McChrystal, Brown, Clucas, Norburn (Richards 75), O’Toole, Anyinsah (Clarkson 73), Brunt, Broghammer (Woodards 89).

Subs not used: Gough, McDonald, Harrison, Hitchcock. 

Barnet: Stack, Yiadom, Johnson, Stephens, Iro, Byrne, Holmes (Crawford 31), Oster (Kamdjo ), Davids, Nurse, Sekajja (Allen 86). 

Subs not used: Cowler, Fuller, Brown, Lee