Barnet Football Club



Hayes & Yeading 0-1 Barnet

Barnet are through to the second round of the FA Trophy thanks to a late George Sykes’ strike that sealed a 0-1 win over Hayes & Yeading United.

The Bees made hard work of it gifting their Skrill South opponents a host of chances while creating few of their own.

Sykes went closest hitting the crossbar before Keiron Cadogan was denied one on one but with time running out Sykes pounced to score a close range overhead kick. 

Luisma Villa, who scored a free-kick against Dartford on Tuesday, had the first chance of the match on 12 minutes when he cut in from the left before shooting wide. 

Six minutes later the home side had their first opportunity of the match when Dean Inman shot at Stack before Andy Yiadom hooked the ball off the line.

With 20 minutes played Jake Reid was played through on goal but Graham Stack rushed out to avert the danger. 

Nine minutes later Sykes had a glorious chance to score but he volleyed straight at Jamie Young from eight-yards.

On the stroke of half-time Inman looped a header over Stack but the goalkeeper was just able to tip the ball behind for a corner. 

From the resulting corner Inman was left free once more but from five-yards he was unable to hit the target sending a bullet header wide of the post.

Luisma Villa curled a free-kick in with 57 minutes played which was meant by Sykes before Byrne who headed straight at Young. 

Four minutes later the home side wasted their best opportunity of the match when Reid scuffed the ball wide one on one from six-yards.

The Bees stepped it up a gear in the final 30 minutes with KMB and Cadogan both going close only to see their efforts blocked. 

With 18 minutes remaining KMB cut to the byline and fired a cross into the box but just as Jon Nurse looked to pounce it was cleared away. 

Four minutes latter Hayes & Yeading had the ball in the net when Inman volleyed home a cross from Williams but the referee’s whistle sounded well in advance to signal offside. 

On 87 minutes the Bees hit the crossbar when Villa’s shot was turned towards goal by Sykes before Cadogan was denied one on one with Young.

Edgar Davids’ side must have thought it wasn’t their day but with seconds of normal time remaining Cadogan headed a KMB cross towards Sykes who hooked an overhead kick over Young from six-yards.

The draw for the second round will be released before 1pm on Monday.