Barnet Football Club



The Bees fell to a narrow 3-2 defeat at the J. Davidson Stadium against Altrincham.


New signing Josh Keeley made his debut in goal for The Bees. Dean Brennan’s only other change from last week’s win against Southend United was Idris Kanu who came in for Dale Gorman, who has picked up an injury.


It was a poor start for The Bees who went 1-0 down within the opening minute of the game. A free-kick over the Barnet defence found Alex Newby, who placed the ball into the back of the net to give the home side the lead.


The Bees then had a series of corners, with Ade Oluwo having the best opportunity to score when his headed effort went over the bar.


Another opportunity presented itself for The Bees as Ben Coker’s free-kick found Reece Hall-Johnson at the back post. The right back had an attempt at goal but could not find the target.


Newby looked to get his and Altrincham’s second goal at the twenty-minute mark. The forward’s strike from the edge of the box could not test Keeley who collected the ball.


The home side came close again to a second when Chris Conn-Clarke’s free-kick narrowly went over the bar.


Nicke Kabamba was then presented with an opportunity to equalise. The forward’s headed effort didn’t have enough power to test Ethan Ross in the Altrincham goal.


The game was then paused for ten minutes as referee James Durkin went off with an injury.


The Bees continued to press and came close again to levelling the score through Idris Kanu, who couldn’t keep his attempt on target from close range.


Deep into first-half stoppage time, Altrincham doubled their lead through Lewis Baines.


HT: Altrincham 2-0 Barnet FC


The home side made it 3-0 after 5 minutes of the second half. Chris Conn-Clarke’s strike inside the box took a big deflection off Jerome Okimo, which wrong-footed Josh Keeley.


Minutes later, Altrincham came close to making it four when a strike from outside the box went narrowly wide of the post.


Brennan made his first change of the game. Finley Potter came off for Jordan Cropper.


On the hour mark, Josh Keeley made an excellent diving save to stop Altrincham from adding to the scoreline.


Jordan Maguire-Drew was then brought on for Zak Brunt as Dean Brennan named his second change of the game.


Minutes after coming on, Maguire-Drew appeared to be brought down in the Altrincham penalty area. The referee made the decision that the winger dived and then produced a yellow card as well as awarding the home side a free-kick.


With 15 minutes left on the clock, Harry Pritchard got a goal back for The Bees. His shot from the edge of the box found the bottom corner of Ethan Ross’ goal.


Brennan’s side pressed well for the final 15 minutes and came close to getting a second when Maguire-Drew’s free-kick narrowly went over the bar.


As the game went into stoppage time, Dean Brennan made his final change, with Callum Stead coming on for Reece Hall-Johnson.


Idris Kanu did get Barnet a second goal deep into stoppage time. Maguire-Drew’s cross found the winger at the back post, who slammed the ball into the back of the net from close range.


It would not be enough to salvage a point, as the game finished 3-2.


FT: Altrincham 3-2 Barnet FC


Starting XI: Keeley, Hall-Johnson (Stead 90’), Coker, Okimo, Kabamba, Kanu, Pritchard, Hartigan, Oluwo, Potter (Cropper 53’), Brunt (Maguire-Drew 59′).
Unused substitutes: Walker, Armstrong
Goals: Pritchard 75’, Kanu 90+3’
Yellow Cards: Maguire-Drew
Attendance: 2,379 (180 away)