Barnet Football Club



Barnet lost their unbeaten record at The Hive after a disappointing 2-0 defeat to promotion hopefuls Gateshead.


Dean Brennan named two changes to the team who lost to Chesterfield last week, with Ben Coker and Finley Potter coming in for Jerome Okimo and Callum Stead.


Barnet started slowly but had the first-half chance of the game when Idris Kanu headed over from close range.


In an open affair, Gateshead had the next chance when a floated cross had to be palmed over the bar from Laurie Walker.


Barnet started to settle into a rhythm with successive corners, but Gateshead stayed rigid in


Kanu continued to stand out for The Bees, playing a beautiful 1-2 to win Barnet a corner from which he had a shot from the edge of the box but failed to catch it flush as the game remained goalless.


Momentum started to shift when Barnet lost the ball twice in quick succession with the first attempt for the away side going comfortably wide, but Walker was needed for the second, getting down low to make a great one-handed save.


Barnet was lucky to remain level when Kyran Lofthouse slalomed his way through the Barnet defence only for his effort to cannon off the crossbar.


As the half drew on, Barnet continued to struggle out of possession but with the help of some poor
finishing and the hands of Walker, The Bees’ clean sheet remained intact.


As the game entered the final 10 of the first half, Gateshead continued to press for the opener but this time the woodwork came to Barnet’s rescue when Greg Olley dragged a shot onto Walker’s righthand post.


The whistle blew with no additional time added which came as a relief for the Barnet fans after a tough 45 for The Bees despite the score being level at the break.


HT Barnet FC 0-0 Gateshead


Brennan made one change at half-time, Dale Gorman replaced Finlay Potter in the hope of more defensive stability.


However, in the 47th minute, Gateshead took the lead after a collection of half-chances ended with Stephen Wearne glancing the ball over Walker to send the away support into raptures.


Barnet responded well with both Gorman and Danny Collinge creating chances, the latter having two brilliant headers with the second coming off the upright.


As the game approached the hour mark, Barnet continued to press for an equaliser with the momentum starting to shift towards the hosts.


But against the run of the play in the second half, Gateshead doubled their lead after the ball was cut back to Wearne who doubled his tally and the away sides’ lead.


The second change for The Bees came in the 71st minute when Callum Stead came on for Ben Coker as Barnet looked to find a way back into the contest.


Not long after, Gary Hooper replaced Zak Brunt in the final change of the afternoon for The Bees with time running out for a comeback.


With 6 minutes additional time, Barnet strived to work a way back into the game and had the ball cleared off the line but soon after, the full-time whistle blew, and Barnet fell to their defeat at The Hive since last season’s playoff semi-final against Boreham Wood.


FT Barnet 0-2 Gateshead


Starting XI: Walker, Coker (Stead 71’), Collinge, Kabamba, Kanu, Pritchard, Hartigan, Oluwo, Revan, Potter (Gorman 46’), Brunt (Hooper 80’)
Unused Subs: Okimo, Senior
Yellows: Kanu
Attendance: 1894 (100 away)