Barnet Football Club



Barnet’s FA Cup run came to an end as Newport County defeated The Bees 4-1 as they progress to the 3rd
round of this year’s competition.

Dean Brennan named 3 changes to the side who beat Maidstone 4-0 on Saturday, in comes Marvin Armstrong, Jerome Okimo, and Jordan Cropper for Dale Gorman, Adebola Oluwo, and Reece HallJohnson respectively.


Barnet started a little shaky with an early chance for the away side when Laurie Walker got caught on the ball but gathered well on the second attempt.


The first real chance for the away side and the deadlock was broken after just 5 minutes, a devastating counterattack led to the ball being cut across the box where it found Lewis Payne who put the League 2 outfit into an early lead.

The away side doubled their lead after 12 minutes where Payne helped out once again, this time having his pass deflected into the path of Omar Bogle who got the last touch as County took hold of the game.

Barnet responded well with an effort from Idris Kanu, but his spectacular effort sailed just wide of the post.


However, the away side continued to cause Barnet problems as a free-kick brought Walker into action, tipping the ball onto his crossbar.


Barnet, who had continued to press for a way back had a moment to forget, A long goal-kick from Nick Townsend ended up in a mix-up between Walker and Danny Collinge who headed past his keeper as The Bees gifted Newport a third after just 24 minutes.


But Barnet wasn’t given up just yet as Captain Harry Pritchard pulled one back for The Bees with a scrambled finish over the line in the 37th minute.


4 additional minutes were awarded for what had been an eventful first half in which Barnet ended the better side as Kanu looked bright once more, winning a late corner for The Bees but as the halftime whistle blew, Barnet had a glimmer of hope going into the second half.

HT Barnet 1-3 Newport County


One change at the break for the Bees as they tried to complete the comeback, Callum Stead replaced Marvin Armstrong.


After a tight opening 15 to the second half, Barnet looked the more likely to get the next goal with Kanu having another spectacular effort but this time, it was the crossbar that denied him a goal he so thoroughly deserved.


Brennan made a couple more changes as The Bees continued to push for a way back in with Connor Stevens and Gary Hooper coming into the frame replacing Jerome Okimo and Jordan Cropper.


But heartbreak for The Bees came in the 76th minute when Newport scored their 4th goal of the evening. Seb Palmer-Holding burst through the Barnet defence and steered his finish into the bottom right corner of Walker’s goal, sending the 162 Newport fans into raptures.


5 minutes were awarded at the end of the game and The Bees gave their all in the final exchanges but as the full-time whistle blew, Barnet’s FA Cup campaign for this season came to an end as Newport County progressed into the 3rd round where they will host Eastleigh.


FT Barnet 1-4 Newport County


Starting XI: Walker, Collinge, Armstrong (Stead 46’), Okimo (Stevens 70’) Kabamba, Kanu,
Pritchard, Hartigan, Potter, Cropper (Hooper 75’), Brunt.
Unused Subs: Gillmore, Coker, Gorman, Blower, Oluwo, Revan,
Goals: Pritchard 37’
Attendance: 1451 (162 away)