Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Bees 1-1 Brentford B

The Bees lifted the Middlesex FA Senior Challenge Cup at the Beveree Stadium – beating Brentford B 4-2 on penalties after the game finished 1-1 in 90 minutes.


Dean Brennan’s side didn’t let their opponents settle in the opening stages as they searched for an early goal through Rob Hall’s two curling free-kicks into the centre of the box which failed to be turned in.


Brentford B’s first effort at goal came in the 19th minute as Valentino Adedokun crossed in from the left flank to Nathan Young-Coombes who headed past the near post.


Neil MacFarlane’s side took the lead four minutes later when Adedokun played the ball to Nathan Young-Coombes on the edge of the box for him to curl it into the top right corner.


Ben Richards-Everton started a quick break in the 33rd minute which saw Ephron Mason-Clark cross low towards Adam Marriott who had his effort blocked away as they went in search of a leveller.


The Bees rattled the woodwork shortly after when Jake Askew’s free-kick from the halfway line was flicked onto Ross Marshall whose first-time attempt came back off the crossbar.


Young-Coombes looked to score his second of the evening before the interval when he raced through on goal following a Bees attack, but Wes Fonguck tracked back well to make the vital challenge.


Dean Brennan’s side equalised just after the break when a low cross into the area from Rob Hall eventually came to Ryan De Havilland who fired it home.


Brentford B responded with a chance of their own when Alex Gilbert played the ball forward to Young-Coombes whose effort was comfortable for Askew in the Bees’ goal.


Reece Grego-Cox went close to putting his side ahead for the first time on the night in the 71st when his low strike rolled narrowly wide of the post after he had been picked out by Marriott.


Grego-Cox looked to turn provider moments later when his cross into the area found Mason-Clark who lashed the ball over the bar whilst on the turn.


Brentford B were awarded a penalty in the 87th minute after De Havilland brought Young-Coombes down in the box.


Young-Coombes took the resulting spot kick and saw his effort towards the bottom corner beaten away by Askew to keep the score at 1-1.


In the final minute of normal time the Bees had a clear opportunity to win the tie as Mason-Clark threaded the ball through to Daniel Powell who side-footed the ball wide of the post.


As neither team could find a winner in an entertaining 90 minutes, the final went straight to a penalty shootout.


Powell scored the first penalty for the Bees before Ryan Trevitt levelled the score. Marriott found the top corner with the second penalty whilst Roy Syla sent his attempt over the crossbar. Both Grego-Cox and Gilbert missed leave the score at 2-1 after three penalties each. 


Richards-Everton’s kick crept in off the post before Peart-Harris pulled one back with his effort. De Havilland was next up for Dean Brennan’s side whose low strike found the net to seal the Middlesex FA Senior Challenge Cup for the first time since 1933.


Bees: Jake Askew, Jordan Thomas, Ben Richards-Everton, Rob Hall (Daniel Powel 75’), Ross Marshall, Ephron Mason-Clark © (Louis Walsh 90+3’), Adam Marriott, Reiss Greenidge, Wes Fonguck, Ryan De Havilland, Reece Grego-Cox. Subs (not used): Aymen Azaze, Teddy Howe, Sam Granville.


Goals: De Havilland (51’).


Brentford B: Matthew Cox, Lewis Gordon, Valentino Adedokun (Myles Peart-Harris 70’), Nico Jones, Tristan Crama, Ben Hockenhull, Dom Jefferies (Roy Syla 88’), Jaako Oksanen (Paris Maghoma 77’), Alex Gilbert, Ryan Trevitt, Nathan Young-Coombes. Subs (not used): Roco Rees, Hans Mpongo.


Goals: Young-Coombes (23’).


Referee: Conor Griffin.


Attendance: 751.