Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Bees 2-2 Grimsby Town

The Bees were made to settle for a point following a late Grimsby Town comeback – drawing 2-2 at The Hive London in the Vanarama National League.


The hosts went close to scoring early on as Ryan De Havilland’s free-kick into the centre of the box was volleyed narrowly wide of the post by Ross Marshall.


Grimsby’s best chance of the first 20 minutes came as Sean Scannell fired one at goal from the edge of the box to force Aymen Azaze to spill the initial effort before claiming it once again.


Dean Brennan’s side took the lead in front of the travelling Grimsby Town supporters in the 37th minute following an even spell in the game.


De Havilland crossed the ball into the box which fell to Adam Marriott who saw his initial effort blocked before firing the rebound low into the bottom corner.


The visitors almost equalised soon after when Adam Crookes’ deep delivery into the area was met by Luke Waterfall who saw his header drop onto the roof of the net.


The Bees doubled their lead against the run of play at the start of the second period when Rob Hall’s cross from the right side was headed into his own net by Luke Waterfall.


Paul Hurst’s side reacted to going further behind through a spell of pressure which saw them go close from a series of corners which were dealt with by a strong defence.


Scannell continued to threaten with his deliveries and it caused an issue for the hosts in the 68th minute when his free-kick from a central position was glanced just past the post by Andy Smith. 


Erico Sousa was next to test the Bees’ resilience when Tristan Abrahams played the ball across to him on the edge of the box, who fired into Azaze’s gloves.


The Mariners continued pressure saw them pull one back in the 82nd minute as Jordan Cropper’s long throw found its way through to Smith who turned it in from close range.


In the 89th minute the visitors got themselves level when Waterfall made up for his earlier own goal when he got on the end of a low cross and turned it home from a few yards out.


The visitors almost won it with the last kick of the game when Abrahams’ fierce shot on the turn had to be saved by Azaze – leaving the two sides to take a point each. 


Bees: Aymen Azaze, Teddy Howe, Ben Richards-Everton, Rob Hall (Serhat Tasdemir 83’), Ross Marshall, Daniel Powell, Ephron Mason-Clark, Adam Marriott, Wes Fonguck (Sam Granville 80’), Harry Taylor ©, Ryan De Havilland. Subs (not used): James Callan, Louis Walsh, Antonis Vasiliou.


Goals: Marriott (37’), (Waterfall 52’ OG).


Grimsby: Max Crocombe, Michee Efete (Jordan Cropper 20’), Adam Crookes, Luke Waterfall, Sean Scannell, Harry Clifton, Erico Sousa, Andy Smith, Gavan Holohan (Ben Fox 70’), Ryan Taylor, Joey Jones (Tristan Abrahams 46’). Subs (not used): Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, Jordan Maguire-Drew. 


Goals: (Smith 82’), Waterfall (89’).


Referee: Robert Whitton.


Attendance: 2,438 (1,319 away).

Photo: Ben Fullylove.