Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Sutton United 2-1 Barnet FC

The Bees continued their pre-season preparations with a tightly contested friendly with newly promoted League Two side Sutton United.


The Bees were dealt a blow in the warm-up as goalkeeper Jake Askew went down injured, thus Sutton’s backup ‘keeper Brad House stepped into the sticks for the Bees. 


The League Two side came the closest in the opening exchanges, as Omar Bugiel’s strike deflected against the foot of the post. The U’s started brightly in what was their last friendly before their League Two campaign gets underway next weekend. 


The Bees came back into it and there was almost a moment of individual magic from Serhat Tasdemir as he spun round a man to set himself away, but his curling effort whistled inches past the post. 


Tasdemir went close again with nine minutes to play before the break, he intercepted a loose back pass before rounding the ‘keeper but the U’s stopper did enough to get back to turn the ball behind. 


The game sprung into life as halftime approached, as both sides scored to make the score 1-1 at the break. Firstly Adam Marriott slotted home from 12 yards after a fantastic team goal from the Bees involving several players, before Mason-Clark found the crucial pass across the box for Marriott to score. 


But the lead only lasted a matter of a minute, as a long-range effort from a Sutton man was spilt into the path of Bugiel who found a composed finish to slot home and find the quickfire equaliser. 


Bugiel continued to cause issues for the Bees and was denied by a great stop from Brad House as he found space in the area and lofted a shot goalwards from six yards. 


Up the other end, Marriott was looking for his second goal of the afternoon but his spectacular 25-yard effort went wide of the post. 


With 25 minutes left on the watch, Sutton United took the lead from the spot as Korboa was felled by Brundle before Milsom stepped up and slotted home. It was harsh on the Bees who were on top for large spells of the half and looked threatening throughout. 


Harry Kewell’s side looked to respond and almost found an equaliser when second-half substitute Kian Flanagan worked some space but couldn’t get his effort on target. 


As time ticked on towards the end of the game, the Bees had a decent opportunity through Mitch Brundle but his dipping half volley didn’t have enough on it to force the ‘keeper into anything more than a routine stop.


The Bees couldn’t find an equaliser but it was another good performance with still three weeks to go until the curtain raises on The National League season. 


Barnet: House (GK), Turley, Widdowson (Trialist B ’60), Richards-Everton (Trialist C 80’), Doherty (Beard 78’), Payne, Brundle, Tasdemir, Trialist A (Vasiliou 78’), Mason-Clark (Flanagan ’60), Marriott.