Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
05 August 2017 Venue The New Lawn Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview | Forest Green Rovers (a)

4 August 2017

EFL Sky Bet League Two - The New Lawn -Saturday 5th August 2017 – KO 3pm

Team News: 

Barnet only picked up a handful of injuries during our pre-season campaign. Richard Brindley (foot) and is doubtful. Michael Nelson (ankle) and Curtis Weston (calf) are back in first team training.

Last Time We Met:

The two sides last met in our Conference winning season of 2014/15, with Forest Green running out 3-1 winners at The Hive London. The Bees took the lead through a John Akinde penalty but were pegged back through strikes from Bennet, Parkin and Guthrie.

The last time we travelled to the Gloucestershire side saw us snatch three points in the third minute of injury time after a bullet header from Bondz Ngala.


Mark Cooper successfully guided Rovers into the Football League for the first time in the clubs history following a 3-1 play-off final victory at Wembley over Tranmere Rovers.

Cooper, 48, started his playing career in the youth system at Bristol City. The journeyman midfielder made 457 appearances playing for 17 clubs from Exeter in the south-west to Hartlepool in the north-east, scoring 115 times.

Towards the tail end of his career, he was appointed player/assistant manager at Tamworth and soon after player/manager. He played 104 times for the Midlands club, scoring 31 and helped guide the club to successive FA Cup Third Round appearances.

During his 13 year managerial career, Cooper has been at 9 clubs, including Peterborough United, Swindon Town and Notts County.


Captain of their play-off winning side, Liam Noble is a major cog in the Forest Green Rovers machine. Scoring on 9 occasions and providing 24 assists, keeping the 26-year-old midfielder quiet will be a tough task.

He was subject to a bid from Notts County last month, which led to a bitter war of words between the two clubs chairmen. It resulted in Noble signing a contract extension with Rovers until 2020.


Midfielder Keanu Marsh-Brown made 53 appearances for the Bees, scoring 14 times and was a popular player among the Barnet faithful.

He fell out of favour in the 2014-15 season and at the turn of the year joined Forest Green where he has gone on to make 76 appearances.

Charlie Clough joined Barnet from Forest Green during the January transfer window last season and has since been ever present in the Barnet back line. He had made 83 appearances for over a two year spell.

Goalkeeper Jamie Stephens grew up under 10 miles away from Nailsworth and started his career in their youth system.

Last Time Out:

In their final first-team pre-season friendly, Forest Green ran out 3-1 winners away at Evo-Stik South Division 1 West side Swindon Supermarine.

Rovers opted to field two teams across the match but it was the hosts who took an early lead from the penalty spot.

The match was tied in the 30th minute after Christian Doidge headed home. Shortly after the restart, Shamir Mullings stuck to give Forest Green the lead before he doubled their advantage in the 70th minute with a calm low finish into the bottom corner.

Forest Green Rovers:

1st half -B.Collins, L.Collins, Monthe, Iacovitti (James, 26), Bennett (Evans, 39), Laird, Cooper, Traore, Brown, Noble, Doidge.

2nd half - Russell, Evans, Fitzwater, Hallet, Wishart, Simpson, Trialist, Marsh-Brown, Bugiel, James (Morris 73), Mullings

Ticket info:

Supporters can find out more about tickets details here.

Keep up with the game:

Full match commentary from every game is available on iFollow. If you are based outside of the UK & Ireland, you can, for the first time ever, watch the game live on iFollow.

You can also get live match updates on Twitter throughout the afternoon. We are also on Facebook and will go behind the scenes on our Instagram.


Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report | Forest Green Rovers 2-2 Barnet FC

5 August 2017

The Bees got their 2017/18 campaign underway with a 2-2 draw away to new boys Forest Green Rovers.

Barnet were missing last seasons top scorer John Akinde so lined up with new signing Shaq Coulthirst leading the line on his debut.

It was a true game of two halves, with the hosts dominating the first 45 minutes. Christian Doidge had the first chance of the game, with his attempted lob being easily caught by Stephens. 

Opportunities followed for Traore and Noble before Vilhete shot over in the 17th minute.

Reece Brown wasted a golden opportunity shortly afterwards. Campbell-Ryce delivered a couple of wonderful crosses, the first headed wide by Akpa Akpro and the second headed by Coulthirst which forced a save.

In the 39th minute, Charlie Clough was forced off with a head injury and FGR took full advantage just two minutes later. 

With Clough on the sidelines, a corner was delivered to Doidge who was unmarked and headed home. Just a couple of minutes later, FGR doubled their lead.

It was that man Doidge again who managed to get around the back of the still dazed Clough and looped an effort over the onrushing Stephens and into the back of the net.

Rossi Eames made two changes at the break, Nelson and Tutonda coming on for Clough and Shomotun.

The Bees looked a different side and pulled a goal back in the 58th minute. Campbell-Ryce's shot was deflected into the path of Jean Louis Akpa Akpro to head home. 

Jack Taylor picked up a booking a minute later before Barnet drew level.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce picked up the ball 25 yards out, was given time and space to unleash a low effort which went in off the post. 

Very few chances followed for either side, Jack Taylor headed wide and Mullings unleashed a volley which didn't trouble Stephens.

In stoppage time, Jack Taylor picked up a second yellow for a late tackle on Charlie Cooper.

Next up for the Bees is a trip to Peterborough United in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday night.

Barnet: Stephens, Johnson, Clough (Nelson, 46), Santos, Campbell-Ryce, Coulthirst (Amaluzor, 86) J. Taylor, H. Taylor, Shomotun (Tutonda, 46) Vilhete, Akpa Akpro.

Unused subs: Ross, Akinola, Bover, Fonguck.  

Advertisement block

Advertisement block