Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

02 December 2018 Venue The Hive Stadium Attendance

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview | Stockport County (h) - Emirates FA Cup

1 December 2018

Emirates FA Cup Round Two – The Hive London – Sunday 2nd December 2018 – KO 14:00

The Bees return to FA Cup action this weekend as they welcome National League North side Stockport County to The Hive London in Round Two on Sunday.

John Still’s men will be hoping to return to winning ways following Saturday’s 2-1 home defeat to Gateshead. Scott Boden tapped in The Heed’s opener on 20 minutes before Jack Taylor levelled proceedings just before the hour mark, smashing home via the woodwork. However, it was Steve Watson’s side that left with all three points after their top scorer Luke Armstrong found the bottom corner on 76 minutes.

Last Meeting:

It has been just over eight years since these two sides last met, the Bees falling to a 3-1 home defeat to The Hatters during the 2010-11 League Two campaign.

George Donnelly broke the deadlock on 51 minutes before Izale McLeod tapped in an equaliser three minutes later. However, a Greg Tansey brace, including a penalty, sealed maximum points for Stockport.

Manager: Jim Gannon

It’s safe to say, Jim Gannon can’t get enough of Stockport County having spent a decade with the club as a player before returning three times as manager.

During a playing career which started at Dundalk, the 50-year-old featured over 350 times for The Hatters. He clinched two League Trophy runner-up medals in 1992 and 1993 respectively and also achieved three promotions at the club, rising from Division Four to Division One.

Gannon hung up his boots at Shelbourne in 2004 and went on to manage Dundalk before returning to Stockport. Initially taking up the role as director of the club’s centre of excellent for girls, it wasn’t long before he found himself in the hot seat. Gannon was named manager on a caretaker basis before being awarded the full job whilst steering the club from League Two relegation. He guided the club to promotion through the play-offs in 2008 before leaving the club a year later.

Spells at Motherwell, Peterborough and Port Vale followed before he was named Stockport boss for a second time in 2011. He lasted just over a year before facing the chop in January 2013 with The Hatters in the League Two relegation zone.

He dropped down to take charge of Northern Premier League Division One North side Northwich Victoria before returning to Stockport yet again in 2016, a position he still holds today. He guided them to Cheshire Senior Cup glory before securing an eighth place finish in the National League North during his first season back in charge. Last season saw him go one better, helping his side clinch a play-off spot after finishing fifth but bowed out at the Qualifying Round.

The aim this time around is to continue their progression and begin their climb back up the divisions.

One to Watch: Matty Warburton

Striker Matty Warburton joined Stockport in 2017 and has gone on to be a vital asset to the side.

Last season saw the 26-year-old net 21 goals in 45 appearances as County ended the campaign in the play-off places.

This term, Warburton is currently Stockport’s leading scorer for the season, netting six league goals.

He’s also managed to replicate his league form in the Cup aswell, bagging three goals in the tournament already this season.

Last Season’s FA Cup Form:

The Hatters failed to get past the qualification stages last season having bowed out at the Third Qualifying Round stage. They began the campaign on a high, beating Curzon Ashton 1-0 courtesy of an Adam Thomas winner at Edgeley Park.

However, they faced their marching orders at the next hurdle in dramatic fashion. They hosted FC United of Manchester but despite taking a three-goal lead into half-time, the Red Rebels forced a replay. Their loss of concentration in the initial tie proved costly as Tom Greaves bagged the only goal three days later to book nine-man FC United’s place in the next round.

This Season’s FA Cup Run:

Stockport began this year’s FA Cup run away at South Shields in the Second Qualifying Round. Nyal Bell bagged a stoppage time winner as The Hatters won 2-1 to advance to the next stage.

A 3-0 home win over Corby Town meant they faced fellow National League North side Altrincham in the final qualifying stage, winning 2-0. They then came up against League Two side Yeovil Town and after coming from behind, they won 3-1 to reach Round 2 for the first time in nine years.

Recent Form:

Sitting 11th in National League North with 24 points to their name, Stockport find themselves four points off the play-off places

The Hatters have clinched three wins in their last five games in all competitions. They began November with a 2-0 away win over Curzon Ashton before their FA Cup triumph over Yeovil followed a week later. It was back to league action and they endured a dip in form, drawing 1-1 at home to Brackley before losing 3-2 away at Blyth. However, they go into tomorrow’s game off the back of a comfortable 3-0 win at home to Chorley in the FA Trophy.

Last 5 games in all competitions: WWDLW

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report | Barnet FC 1-0 Stockport County - Emirates FA Cup

2 December 2018

Danielle Machin

Barnet booked their place in Round Three of the Emirates FA Cup after beating National League North side Stockport County 1-0 at The Hive London this weekend.

Dan Sparkes came in for Charlee Adams in the Bees’ only change from last weekend’s defeat against Gateshead and made an immediate impact, opening the scoring inside seven minutes.

That goal proved to be the winner as John Still’s men progress to the Third Round for the first time in a decade.

The first chance of the game fell to the Bees when Byron Harrison won a free-kick from outside the area. Sparkes stepped up to take before looping the ball over the wall, narrowly falling wide of the post.

It didn’t matter though as the Barnet number 11 found himself on the score-sheet three minutes later. A cross was whipped in by Cheye Alexander and he was on hand to head the ball home to give the hosts an early lead.

Alexander could have grabbed one himself soon after. The full-back did well to cut inside before letting fly on the edge of the box but it could only found the arms of Ben Hinchliffe.

Adam Thomas had an equaliser in his sights on 23 minutes, curling the ball on target but it was comfortable enough for Mark Cousins.

The Bees nearly doubled their lead soon after when a Sparkes corner found the head of Dan Sweeney but his attempt was blocked on the line.

Another chance fell the hosts’ way four minutes before the break when Sparkes whipped a low ball into Harrison but his effort from close range flew over.

Despite Darren Stephenson’s dangerous low cross in stoppage time that forced Cousins into a save, Barnet went into the break a goal up.

Wes Fonguck produced the first chance of the second half, curling the ball from the edge of the box but it deflected out for a corner.

Elliott Johnson then whipped in a delightful ball from the left before Harrison’s header was flagged for offside but Hinchliffe made an extraordinary save to deny him nonetheless.

Soon after, a misplaced back-pass found its way to Josh Walker who let rip from distance but it was tipped over by the Stockport ‘keeper.

Frank Mulhern then had a glorious chance to equalise just past the hour mark after Cousins lost grip of the ball, falling to the County man who poked it wide from close range.

Craig Robson, who scored in both games against Bristol Rovers in the previous round, tried his luck from range with 15 minutes remaining but Hinchliffe got down low to save.

With three minutes remaining, substitute Manny Duku saw his strike from outside the area fly over the bar moments before receiving a yellow for a foul.

Despite late pressure from the visitors, the Bees held on to clinch the win.

The draw takes place on Monday night where Barnet will find out who they will play in the next round.


Barnet Starting Line-up: Cousins, Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds ©, Robson, Harrison (Duku), Sparkes, J.Taylor, Fonguck (Adams), Walker (Elito), Sweeney.

Unused Subs: Matrevics, Coulthirst, Mason-Clark, Bettamer

Goal: Sparkes 7’

Stockport Starting Line-up: Hinchliffe, Cowan, Minihan (Bell), Keane (Dimaio), Palmer ©, Scott, Thomas, Walker, Mulhern, Osborne (Warburton), Stephenson.

Unused Subs: Ormson, Turnbull, Downing, Robinson.


Attendance: 2826 (1542 visitors)

Advertisement block

Ticket News

Get behind YOUR team in the FA Cup

29 November 2018

Danielle Machin

Barnet FC take on Stockport County in the Second Round of the Emirates FA Cup this Sunday at 2pm and we need you!

Tickets for this one are ONLY £10 for Adults, £5 for Concessions and £1 for Under 17's in all areas of the stadium.

Forget the Sunday Roast, switch off the TV, say no to the armchair and be the difference!

Sing your heart out on the terrace or be the 12th man from the stands - it would be great to see the Black and Amber Army out in force for the FA Cup!

The Bees will be aiming for a place in the Third Round of the FA Cup for the first time in a decade whilst looking to avoid an upset against Stockport who will be well backed at The Hive London.

Save time on your matchday and purchase in advance - click here.

Double Pints for £7 - click here.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block