Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

31 August 2019 Venue Silverlake Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


Vanarama National League

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview: Eastleigh (A)

31 August 2019

The Bees are back on the road today as they travel to Eastleigh, hoping to return to winning ways.

Darren Currie’s side go into the game off the back of a second successive 2-2 home draw, this time against Torquay United on Monday.

Jean-Yves Koue Niate netted with only five minutes on the clock before Armani Little gave the visitors a two-goal cushion going into half-time.

However, the Bees managed to complete a comeback in the second period thanks to goals from Ephron Mason-Clark and Jack Taylor.

The Opposition

After finishing seventh last season, Eastleigh booked themselves a spot in the play-offs but would suffer semi-final heartbreak at the hands of Salford City.

The Spitfires haven’t played higher than the fifth tier but promotion to the Football League will undoubtedly be in their sights again this time around.

However, they currently find themselves occupying 17th spot but are unbeaten in their last two games.

After winning their season opener against Notts County, Eastleigh would go five games without a victory before clinching three points against Solihull on Monday.

The Spitfires haven’t won at home since the first game of the season but will be hoping to break that drought this afternoon.

The Bees are travelling to the Silverlake Stadium, a ground which was opened in 1957 and has a capacity of 5,500 whereby 3,210 are seating.

Manager: Ben Strevens

This season marks Ben Strevens’ first full one as Eastleigh manager since he took charge permanently in November of last year.

The 39-year-old originally took the reins as interim boss after a spell as assistant manager and quickly proved why he was the right man for the job.

The only previous managerial experience Strevens had came at Whitehawk, taking up temporary joint manager role alongside his playing duties.

No stranger to Barnet, the former midfielder joined the Bees from Wingate & Finchley and made over 200 appearances for the club as a player.

During his time with us, he was also sent on loan to former club Wingate & Finchley, Slough Town and St Albans City respectively and was part of our Conference winning side of 2005.

He joined Crawley Town in 2006 before signing for Dagenham & Redbridge in the same year where he’d taste Conference promotion again.

However, he was then snapped up by Brentford in 2009 in a brief spell before joining Wycombe Wanderers the following year. Whilst with the Chairboys, he was part of the side that won promotion to League One in 2011.

Gillingham proved to be his next destination in 2012 before he briefly returned to Dagenham ahead of his first spell at Eastleigh. He helped the Spitfires to promotion to the Conference and also played a vital part in their first season in the division.

He left the club in 2016 to join Whitehawk before quickly making a return but he hung his boots up ahead of taking the managerial role last year.

Last Time Out:

Last season saw the Bees clinch a comfortable 3-0 victory away at Eastleigh in April, our last meeting with the Spitfires.

Shaq Coulthirst found the net either side of a 52nd minute Ephron Mason-Clark goal to seal the win.

As for the Spitfires, they were reduced to 10 men just before half-time with the score at 1-0.

Top Scorer: Danny Hollands

After netting a brace on Monday against Solihull Moors, midfielder Danny Hollands is currently the Spitfires top scorer with two goals to his name.


Alongside manager Strevens, goalkeeper and coach Ross Flitney is also a former Bee after making over 50 appearances for the club between 2005 and 2007 before leaving for Grays Athletic.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Eastleigh 1-2 Barnet

31 August 2019

A stoppage time winner from Shaquille Coulthirst gave the Bees all three points in an entertaining game in Hampshire.

A first half strike from Jack Taylor was cancelled out by Jack McKnight's second half leveller. 

But the drama was far from over as Coulthirst netted deep into added time to send the travelling Bee army into raptures.

The Bees started on the front foot and put together a nice move in the opening five minutes. However, J Taylor's cross was just over the head of Akinola. 

On 11 minutes Max Stryjek was forced into his first save of the afternoon, Mason-Clark set it back for Callum Reynolds, but the skippers strike was palmed wide by the Eastleigh keeper. 

After 16 minutes the Bees took the lead through Jack Taylor as he superbly bent the ball into the top left corner, it was a superb strike from the 21 year old. 

Eight minutes later it was almost two for Darren Currie's side as Simeon Akinola launched a shot for the top corner from the edge of the box, but the attackers effort went a couple of yards wide of the far post. 

13 minutes before the break, Akinola was involved again as he rose highest from Sparkes free kick, but he didn't make the contact he would have wanted and the Spitfires cleared. 

At the other end Jack Mcknight dragged an effort wide after Barnet failed to clear their lines, it was a let off for the Bees after they dominated large stages of the opening 45 minutes.

On 41 minutes Scott Loach was called into action as Williamson struck from a well worked corner, but the Bees number 1 flew across his goal and diverted the ball away. 

At the start of the second half, a superb block from Harry Taylor denied the hosts the leveller as the midfielder threw himself at Barnett's powerful drive. 

Barnet had two golden chances on the hour mark, firstly Akinola did well to create space to meet J Taylor's cross but his header was straight at Stryjek. A minute later the Eastleigh keeper made a superb stop at point blank range as Josh Walker wriggled away from the defence and fired at goal. 

On 67 minutes there was controversy as Walker was brought down by the already booked Johnson, however referee Lee Collins decided that the striker had dived as he raced clear on goal. 

With 20 minutes to play the Bees were pegged back as the ball broke to McKnight six yards out and he coverted past Loach to level the scores. 

Dan Sparkes nearly put his side back infront as he curled a brilliant free-kick just wide of the post from 25-yards-out. 

With five minutes to go the hosts were reduced to 10 men as Smart was shown a second booking for simulation as he went down too easily in the eyes of the referee. 

With time running out there was a chance for Akinola as he burst through on goal but his lofted effort went over the bar as lifted it over the onrushing keeper. 

Into added time and J Taylor forced Stryjek into another stop as he tried his luck from 30 yards out, but the Sptfires keeper was equal to the Irishmen's effort. 

The Bees found the winner in the fourth minute of added on time as substitute Shaquile Coulthirst tapped home from Sparkes' cross after Stryjek dropped a long ball into the area. 

The Bees now have a short break until their next game as they take on Maidenhead at The Hive, where they will look to buld on the first month of the season where they have lost just once.



Advertisement block

Advertisement block