All the stats, news and information ahead of tonight's match
• Barnet host Southend United looking to extend their unbeaten run to four games following Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Rochdale.
• The Blues secured their first win in four league games on Saturday as Britt Assombalonga struck in the 85th minute to secure a 1-2 win over Wycombe Wanderers.
• Barnet currently sit one point above the relegation in 22nd place on 34 points, Southend are eighth on 50 points just two off Exeter City and a play-off place.
• Bees v Blues is just one game in a full midweek programme of League Two action, all the matches will be played on Tuesday night except Bradford City’s clash with Dagenham and Redbridge which will take place on Wednesday.
Barnet Football Club
• Ricky Holmes (foot) and John Oster (hamstring) will not feature against the Blues on Tuesday.
• Curtis Weston remains doubtful and will be assessed before the match; Liam O’Brien is continuing his recover from a groin injury.
• Chris Barker, Ben Reeves and Ryan Leonard are unlikely to feature after all three picked up injuries in Southend’s 1-2 win over Wycombe.
• Michael Timlin is also unavailable after breaking his leg in a 1-0 win over Leyton Orient in the JPT.
• Southend United were formed in 1906 and they play their home matches at Roots Hall which has a capacity of 12, 392.
• Their manager is Paul Sturrock who joined the club on 5 July 2010, his assistant is Graham Coughlan who also plays for the club as a centre back.
• Southend reached their first ever Wembley final (JPT) last week courtesy of a late Ben Reeves goal that earnt a 2-2 draw against Leyton Orient and a 3-2 aggregate win.
• This is the third time they have reached the JPT final but both those appearances (2004 & 2005) came at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, both ended in defeat.
• The Blues main rivals are fellow Essex side Colchester United, they also have a longstanding rivalry with Leyton Orient who they beat in the area final of the JPT last week.
• Alan Moody holds the club record for most appearances having played 506 times between 1972 and 1984.
• Roy Hollis holds the record for most goals scored with an impressive figure of 135 which were scored in just six-years between 1954-1960.
Last time out
23 February 2013
Npower League Two
Barnet 0-0 Rochdale
Barnet: Stack, Fuller, Johnson, Stephens, N’Gala, Byrne, Yiadom (Vilhete 80), Weston (Kamdjo 73), Davids, Hyde (Beattie 68), Lopez.
Subs not used: Barnes, Brown, Gambin, N’Toko.
23 February 2013
Npower League Two
Wycombe Wanderers 1-2 Southend United
Southend United: Smith, Clohessy, Spillane, Cresswell, Prosser, Leonard (Lund 77), Barker (Straker 38), Mayor (Reeves 78), Hurst, Corr, Assombalonga.
Subs not used: Bentley, Woodyard, Eastwood, Harris.
Goals: Corr 52, Assombalonga 85.
6 October 2012 – Southend United 2-2 Barnet
• Kevan Hurst’s late equaliser denied Barnet their first win of the season and earned Southend United a point via a 2-2 draw. The Bees went two up despite the home side hitting the crossbar twice as Ricky Holmes and Jake Hyde converted. Freddy Eastwood reduced the deficit from the spot after a Barry Fuller handball and Hurst levelled with a scuffed volley six minutes from time.
Barnet Football Club: Stack, Fuller, Brown, Kamdjo, Stephens, Pearce, Byrne, Yiadom, Lowe, Holmes (Oster 82), Hyde (Nurse 88).
Subs not used: Cowler, Fortune, Saville, Edgar, Weston.
Goal: Holmes 54, Hyde 65.
Southend United: Smith, Clohessy, Straker (Martin 72), Cresswell, Prosser, Barker, Timlin, Hurst, Eastwood, Assombalonga, Tomlin.
Subs not used: Bentley, Coughlan, Woodyard, Paxnan, Benyon, Njie.
Goal: Eastwood 67 (pen), Hurst 84.
• Barnet have met Southend United on 17 occasions, they have won five, lost nine and drawn twice.
• The side’s first met in the 1946/47 FA Cup and it was not one to remember for the Bees who lost 2-9 at home.
• It would be over 46-years until the sides would meet again and it was worth the wait. The Bees secured a 2-0 win at Roots Hall followed by a 1-1 draw at Underhill that saw them progress to the second round of the League Cup.
• Six-years later the clubs met for the first time in the league and Barnet emerged victorious once more as they sealed a 3-2 win at Roots Hall.
• Barnet have failed to win in any of the last seven meetings between the two sides, they have lost six and drawn just once which occurred last time out.
Last six meetings (League Two unless stated)
6 October 2012 Southend United 2-2 Barnet
20 April 2012 Southend United 3-0 Barnet
25 October 2011 Barnet 0-3 Southend United
22 February 2011 Southend United 2-1 Barnet
29 January 2011 Barnet 0-2 Southend United
5 October 2010 Barnet 1-3 Southend United (Johnstone’s Paint Trophy)
Overall record v (all competitions) W 5 D 2 L 9
• Tuesday’s referee will be Karl Berry.
• Berry has taken charge of 23 matches this season and has brandished 61 yellow cards and six red.
• Mr Berry will be assisted by Alan Young and Matthew Buonassisi, the fourth official will be Ryan Atkin.
• The weather forecast for Tuesday night in Barnet is for grey cloud with maximum temperatures reaching 4C.
• To plan your route via London Underground services visit www.tfl.gov.uk.
This evening we welcome Jacqui Mace from Stanmore College together with her guests who are proud sponsors of Barnet FC Ladies and tonight’s match. Stanmore College offers courses for young people and more experienced learners who have that thirst for knowledge.
Courses for young people: The teachers have expertise at sixth form level and many have industrial or business experience. Stanmore College offers a wide range of courses from vocational to A Levels and have consistently achieved high pass rates for many years. Higher Education courses: Higher Education courses develop the skills and attributes which employers demand and which are essential for today’s fast moving and competitive market. These courses include higher national diplomas / certificates, foundation degrees and honours degrees. Courses for 19+ learners: Stanmore also offer a wide range of part time and evening courses. Including; courses for job seekers, workers wanting to improve their qualifications, those requiring a professional update, those needing to improve their English, maths or other basic skills and a wide range of leisure courses. To find out more about any of the courses call 020 8420 7700, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.stanmore.ac.uk
Welcome to JBS Global UK who in conjunction with Booker Cash and Carry are proud to attend this evenings match. JBSUK has sponsored the Chairman and Directors dining experience for the evening with the Great Taste Awards “Aberdeen Brand” Roasted Ribeye.
You can find information on the Companies by visiting www.jbs.com.br and www.booker.co.uk
YVA Solicitors are today’s Programme Sponsor and we welcome one of the firm’s partners, Lambros Lambrou and esteemed guests. YVA Solicitors provide a sound practical legal service in an efficient and professional manner with a focus on building long term relationships, as demonstrated by their long term support of and work with Barnet FC . To find out how they can help you, whether you are looking to buy or sell a property, or are concerned about employment or matrimonial issues or whatever assistance you may require from a lawyer, contact them on 020 8445 9898 or visit www.yvasolicitors.com to find out more and see their full list of services.
I am delighted to be joined by our joint Ball Sponsors, R B Emerson Group. Emersons hale from Southend. I would like to sincerely wish Mick Maddocks and all his guests an enjoyable night and thank them for their kind support.
With nearly a century’s expertise behind them, RB Emerson are specialists in creating quality business environments by offering computer, electrical and interior refurbishment as well as the installation and service of mechanical and air conditioning systems, through their sister companies. To find out more about RB Emerson and how they could help your business, please visit www.emersons.uk.com.
Joint Ball Sponsor this evening and supporters of Barnet FC for many years is The Times Group Newspaper which is our local paper offering latest news within the community as well as up to date news from Underhill. The Times Series has a distribution of over 120,000 and has advertisers from local estate agents, car dealers, retailers and many more. Welcome to Andrew Goodrich and the rest of your guests. Further information about the group can be found on: www.times-series.co.uk and in today’s programme.
Good evening to our guests from Chantrey Vellacott DFK who are no strangers to Underhill. Chantrey Vellacott DFK are a long established provider of accounting, taxation and related advisory services with offices throughout the Midlands and South East. The firm bases its success on having strong core values and a willingness to embrace new technologies and new ways of working. Chantrey Vellacott DFK work with quoted companies and privately owned businesses drawn from a wide range of commercial sectors. Clients include professional partnerships, regulatory bodies, charities and other not-for-profit organisations, public sector bodies and private clients. They are accountants and auditors to a number of football clubs including Barnet FC. For further information and contact details check www.cvdfk.com or the full page advert in this match day programme.
And finally after this evening’s match we have 6 home games until we say Good Bye to Underhill. If you are looking to entertain clients, have a special occasion that you would like to celebrate in style or even a business incentive for staff now is the time to get in touch. Furthermore if you have a business and are looking for maximum exposure through football, partnering Barnet FC into next season can also be a great opportunity. To find out more about hospitality and sponsorship opportunities call me on 020 8381 3800 xt 1034 or e:email@example.com.