Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Pack: Maidenhead United 0-0 Barnet

10 April 2021

Simon Bassey and Dave Anderson picked up a point in their first game in charge of the Bees as the team played out a 0-0 draw with Maidenhead at York Road.


Bassey and Anderson were overseeing their first match in charge of the Bees and were expecting 100% from all their players from the off and that is certainly what the Bees looked to offer in the opening exchanges.

Neither side were creating much in the way of chances, although the Bees had a few early shouts for a penalty, which were waved away by the referee. 

It would be the home side who would have the first real sighting at goal through Rohan Ince, whose effort was driven just wide.

The Bees however continued to defend well and had their own chance on goal when Harry Taylor got on the end of a free kick from Alexander McQueen, but his header was too soft to cause a threat.

Ayman Azaze had a relatively quiet first 30 minutes, but was then called into immediate action after a Bees mistake from a throw in allowed Danilo Orsi-Dadomo to go through on goal, but Azaze was on hand to pull off a remarkable save.

The game was starting to become very scrappy as it got closer to the break, as both sides struggled to put two passes together and maintain possession.

Both sides came out for the second half with a lot more intensity and some confusion among the Bees backline nearly allowed the Magpies an opportunity to get a goal, but were saved by the linesmen flag.

The hosts did have the ball in the back of the net on the 60th minute mark, but again were caught out for offside.

The early intensity in the half seemed to quieten down a bit with neither side creating any chances, but Azaze was kept on his toes when called into action, parrying away a shot from the edge of the box with just over 20 minutes to go.

Defensively the Bees were having a superb afternoon, but in attack there was very few chances to talk about, with JJ Hooper getting the Bees first shot on target in the second half after 77 minutes with a tame effort.

Maidenhead were probably having more of the ball and were starting to gain momentum as the game entered the final ten minutes, having a succession of chances, but the Bees were putting their bodies on the line to defend each and every one.

However, as the fourth official was getting his board ready with stoppage time, Ephron Mason-Clark broke at pace, playing in an inch perfect pass to Hooper, who was just denied by Taye Ashby-Hammond, in what was a golden opportunity for the Bees to snatch a win.

The Magpies pushed hard in the four additional minutes to get the three points and were awarded a free kick just before full time, but the Bees remained resolute to clear it from harms way and earn themselves a hard fought point on the road.

Barnet Team: Azaze, Preston, McQueen, Hooper, Kefalas, Taylor, Beard (Nugent 90+4), Skeffington, Mason-Clark, Vaughan, Daly

Subs not used: Callan, McBurnie, Faal and Adeloye

Advertisement block