Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Pack: Barnet 0-2 Wrexham

9 March 2021

The Bees fell to a 2-0 defeat at home to Wrexham.


The Bees came into the game after a weekend away from action, eager to put things right, after last Tuesdays defeat to Yeovil Town.

They certainly looked ready for the challenge, moving the ball around well with quick interchanges, controlling much of the ball in the opening stages.

Neither side really had a chance which threatened each others goal in the opening 20 minutes other than one from Jordan Davies which forced Scott Loach into making a fantastic save, with much of the play beginning to be played in the Bees half, as Wrexham grew into the game.

Chances were few and far between with a couple of stoppages due to players receiving treatment after knocks really playing its part in affecting the flow of the match.

The Bees managed to get their first opportunity on goal with just over ten minutes to go until the break. Alexander McQueen whipped a free kick to the edge of the box, which Ben Richards-Everton just about got a head to, but it lacked the power to make a real impact on the visitors goal.

On 41 minutes it was Luke Young who was the player to break the deadlock, blasting a wonderful effort, which was virtually unstoppable, into the back of Loach's net, giving the Red Dragons the lead into half time.

The Bees really came out of the blocks from the restart with a lot of energy creating a number of chances, including one from Anthony Wordsworth which forced a save.

The Bees were having a number of corners, but were unable to get any real chances on goal from them, but were certainly causing problems in the Wrexham area.

On 63 minutes, Courtney Baker-Richardson had a golden opportunity to bring the sides level when he was put through one on one with the keeper, only for his powerful effort to be saved.

Wrexham were having very little of the ball in the second half, but reminded the Bees the threat they can offer with Theo Vassel putting a header just wide as the game entered the last 15 minutes.

Despite the Bees best efforts, the visitors were able to double their lead in the 81st minute. Elliot Durrell picked up the ball and drove forward, eventually slotting the ball home with a low shot into the back of the net. 

Even after putting up a really positive second half display, the Bees were unable to make anything of it in the way of goals so it was Wrexham who took all three points.

Barnet Team: Loach, Dunne (H.Taylor 70'), McQueen, Hooper, Kefalas, Richards-Everton, Baker-Richardson (Faal 67'), Vaughan, R.Taylor, Daly, Wordsworth (Mason-Clark 75')

Subs not used: Azaze and Petrasso

Advertisement block