Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : Yeovil Town 3-1 Barnet FC

27 March 2021

After a blitzing first half showing from Yeovil Town, the Bees fell to defeat at Huish Park.

The hosts started with the majority of possession at a blustery Huish Park, albeit they found the Bees backline in stern mood in the opening five minutes. Their best chance fell the way of Chris Dagnall, as he capitalised on a defensive mix up only to be denied by a great challenge from Liam Daly. 

The host's pressure soon told after ten minutes, as Tom Knowles glided through the Bees backline before cooly firing into the bottom corner from 18 yards. It was a neat turn that fooled the Bees but they'll feel it was all too easy for the host's creative midfielder. 

The Bees had their best spell of the match following the goal and looked dangerous on the counter-attack, with JJ Hooper flashing some warning signs as he broke through only to be denied by the offside flag. 

However, it would be Darren Sarll's side who would go two to the good on 25 minutes, as the Bees failed to properly clear a long throw-in before the resulting delivery was struck home by Charlie Lee. 

They almost had a third on the 30-minute mark, as defender Lee Dickinson found himself space in the six-yard box, only for his effort to be cleared from the line by Daly. 

It was soon three for the Glovers, as more slack Barnet defending allowed Josh Neufville to fire home from 20 yards via the inside of the post. 

The Bees came out for the second half and put in a much improved showing, albeit without testing the Glovers 'keeper. The best opening fell to JJ Hooper who had been fed through by Tomi Adeloye, only for the flag to once again stop him in his tracks.

We did have one back with 25 minutes left on the watch as Lee Vaughan's cross was headed home by Themis Kefalas, after the Bees took a clever short corner. 

Gary Anderson's men were better in the second half and whilst they got into some threatening positions they didn't threaten the Yeovil goal. Although, Azaze was mostly a spectator in the second half, with the hosts settling on their two-goal cushion as the game entered its latter stages. 

The Bees did have a chance to make it a grandstand finish as a free-kick was headed only as far as Petrasso who fired over from ten yards out.

Ultimately, despite a spirited second half showing from the Bees, the damage was done by the Glovers in the first half who richly deserved their win at Huish Park. 

Barnet: Azaze, Preston, Petrasso, Hooper (Faal 76'), Kefalas, H Taylor, McBurnie, Adeloye, Mason-Clark (Vasiliou 80'), Vaughan, Daly (c)

Subs not used: Callan, Wordsworth, Nugent. 

Advertisement block