Barnet Football Club



Report: Barnet 2-2 Chesterfield

Spireites debutant Mike Fondop netted either side of a Jack Taylor wonder-strike before Simeon Akinola’s second-half penalty sealed the draw.

The Bees made two changes from the side that lost 1-0 at home to Dover Athletic on Tuesday night as Dan Sparkes and Andre Boucaud replaced Ricardo Santos and David Tutonda.

As for the visitors, they welcomed Jermaine McGlashan and Fondop to the club this week and the pair were both thrown into the starting line-up.

The latter would make an instant impact after he rose highest to head home a cross from the right, giving the visitors the lead with only two minutes on the clock.

However, the Bees levelled proceedings just moments later when Jack Taylor did well to find space on the edge of the box before unleashing a brilliant curling effort, nestling the top right corner. It’s safe to say, the midfielder marked his 100th appearance for Barnet in some style.

The hosts nearly turned the game on its head on 17 minutes after an Ephron Mason-Clark cross from the left met the head of James Dunne, but his effort went wide.

Callum Reynolds then floated a ball towards the far post before Medy Elito’s acrobatic volley was well saved by Shwan Jalal in the Chesterfield net.

Up the other end, Liam Mandeville directed a header towards goal from close range, but Scott Loach did well to get low and make a save.

During the final stages of the half, Fondop nearly grabbed his second after he was played through before smashing it low. However, Loach was on hand to prevent any damage.

The Barnet number one was called into action again moments later, this time he dived low to his right to deny another Mandeville header.

Those stops proved vital as the Bees returned to the changing rooms level-pegging at half-time.

The hosts nearly put their noses in front shortly after the restart when Akinola’s header from inside the area was saved.

The miss proved costly as Chesterfield went up the other end and regained the lead after Fondop’s first effort was denied by Loach before the number 36 netted on the second attempt.

Scott Boden nearly added his name to the scoresheet on the hour mark after his effort, which bent around Loach, couldn’t find the target.

The Bees were then awarded a penalty soon after when Mason-Clark was brought down in the box. Up stepped Akinola who sent the goalkeeper the wrong way, netting his fourth goal of the season and levelling the scores for the Bees.

With five minutes left, Loach made an incredible double-save. After preventing the Spireites from scoring at the first attempt, David Buchanan’s diving header at the far post looked to be going in, but the shot-stopper tipped the ball out of danger.

That would be the closest either side came to a winner in the latter stages of the game as the points were forced to be shared.

Darren Currie’s side turn their attentions to next Saturday as they travel to Wrexham.


Barnet: Loach, Alexander, Reynolds, H.Taylor, Sparkes, Dunne, Boucaud (Barham), J.Taylor, Elito, Mason-Clark, Akinola.

Unused Subs: Matrevics, Adams, Coulthirst, Vasiliou.


Attendance: 1119 (247 Chesterfield)