Barnet Football Club




Barnet came from 3-1 down to secure 3-3 draw against Aldershot Town at the Recreation Ground.

The home side took the lead after just two minutes through Brett Williams but the Bees made a blistering start to the second period and pulled level through Curtis Weston.

Two costly defensive mistakes saw the home side race into a 3-1 lead against the run of play but Edgar Davids’ side redeemed themselves with Marciano Mengerink and Harry Crawford registering to complete the comeback.

The Bees made one change from the side who drew 1-1 with Lincoln City on Saturday with Jake Hyde, who has a hamstring injury, replaced by Ahmed Abdulla.

The hosts made a flying start to the match and despite the poor conditions they made it count when the Barnet defence left Brett Wiliams unmarked six yards out and he stroked the ball home.

With ten minutes played the hosts came close to a second when Weston mistimed a header which skimmed off his head and just wide of Graham Stack’s post.

Four minutes later the Bees almost levelled but Crawford was unable to get a touch on Keanu Marsh-Brown’s powerful low cross.

As the half wore on the weather got progressively worse and the poor conditions did little to help the Bees in their search for an equaliser.

Elliot Johnson came closest with 36 minutes played but his cross-shot was tipped to safety by Glenn Morris.

Weston also had a chance to level in the final stages of the half but his strike from the edge of the box was straight down the throat of Morris who comfortably saved.

After a miserable first-half the Bees came out revitalised and they had the ball in he net inside 60 seconds when Morris was unable to hold Marsh-Brown’s shot and Byrne converted the rebound.

However, the linesman’s flag was raised, correctly, to deny them the perfect start to the second-half.

On 56 minutes the Bees did level when Weston gambled and the Shots defence allowed him to poke the ball over Morris and into the net.

Davids’ side continued to dominate but they were punished eight minutes later when they wasted several chances to clear on the edge of the box and Manny Oyeleke fired the ball past Stack.

Four minutes later they were again the architects of their own downfall when Stack hesitated allowing Williams to intercept his clearance before rolling the ball into the empty net.

With 16 minutes played the Bees made changes with Luisma Villa and Mengerink replacing Abulla and Acheampong.

Four minutes after the changes Davids’ side were rewarded as Crawford crossed low to Mengerink who finished from close range.

The Bees continued to push but they were almost caught on the break when Williams inexplicably failed to convert from six-yards under no pressure.

The travelling Bees were left praying the forward would regret wasting such an opportunity and with three minutes of normal time remaining their prayers were answered as Crawford smashed the ball into the roof of the net after a goalmouth scramble.

Both sides pushed in search of a winner and had it not been for some excellent defending by David Stephens and Jack Saville the home side could have taken all three points.

In the end neither was able to find a winner and Barnet were left to think of what might have been had they not made some costly errors midway through the second-half.