Barnet Football Club



Barnet 0-0 Welling United

Barnet and Welling played out a goalless draw at The Hive on Tuesday night in the Skrill Premier 
Both sides threatened in the final third but neither was able to apply the finishing touch as the Bees extended their unbeaten league run to seven.
The Bees’ best chance fell to Harry Crawford who was denied by a superb low save by Lee butcher midway through the first-half. 
The Bees made two changes to the side who lost 6-0 to Preston North End with Luisma Villa and Crawford replacing Edgar Davids and the suspended Keanu Marsh-Brown.
Davids’ side started well and they conjured the first opportunity of the match with six minutes played when Crawford headed over the crossbar.
Eight minutes later the visitors had their first chance when Loui Fazakerly shot straight into the arms of Graham Stack from the edge of the box.
One minute later Barnet were almost gifted an opener as Butcher fumbled an Andy Yiadom cross just wide of his post. 
The game continued at breakneck speed with Elliot Johnson hooking the ball off the line just two minutes later as both sides pushed for an opener. 
With 24 minutes on the clock the Wings had the ball in the net but Alex Dyer’s effort was ruled out for foul on Stack which caused him to drop the ball into the midfielder’s path.
Lee Clarke headed over soon after before Butcher produced a superb low save to deny Crawford after a neat interchange with Keiron Cadogan.
Villa also went close for the Bees curling an effort just wide with Cadogan missing a great chance in first-half added time after bundling through the Welling back line. 
The Wings made a better start to the second period than the Bees but David Stephens was at his sensational best to deny them on two occasions in the opening five minutes.
The first saw Ross Lafayette go through on goal but the defender burst back to recover and get the block in and the second was almost identical just two minutes later.
Welling continued to push and the Bees can thank goalkeeper Stack for keeping it level after 59 minutes when he got down low to push a powerful Lafayette effort to safety.
With 29 minutes remaining Crawford burst down the left and sent a powerful cross into the box which evaded everyone and flew narrowly past Butcher’s post. 
Mark Byrne and Cadogan both had attempts from range in the final stages but Butcher, like Stack, wasn’t troubled nearly enough to be denied a clean sheet. 
Both sides continued to push but neither was able to capitalise on promising build-up play that was ultimately wasted.
On Saturday the Bees host league-leaders Cambridge United at The Hive for a 5.30pm kick-off.