Barnet Football Club




Barnet suffered a 1-2 defeat to AEL Limassol at The Hive in their final pre-season fixture ahead of the 2013/14 season. 
The six-time Cypriot champions took the lead through Orlando Sa before substitute Tiago Targino added a second after the break. With 89 minutes played substitute Marcino Mengerink added a superb consolation hammering it home from 20-yards before almost adding an equaliser one minute after the restart.
Despite missing the likes of Graham Stack, Anthony Acheampong and Harry Crawford through injury the Bees coped well with Roberto Casabella, Mark Byrne and Curtis Weston bossing the midfield. 
Keanu Marsh-Brown also enjoyed an impressive afternoon, destroying his marker on several occasions which led to him being awarded the Man of the Match award. 
The first chance of the match fell to Luke Gambin but he dragged his shot wide after a neat flick from Byrne.
With 15 minutes played Gambin, who has just signed a new long-term deal, turned provider but Jake Hyde’s shot was well saved at the near post. 
The visitors first opportunity came seven minutes later when former Fulham striker Sa drove at the Bees defence before being denied by Nick Jupp.
Casabella pulled the strings in midfield with a stunning range of passing and one of his magical through balls played in Andy Yiadom whose shot was blocked behind.
Claudio Vilcu header over from the corner but AEL went in front soon after when Sa flicked the ball across goal and past Jupp from the near post.
Just three minutes after the opener the visitors almost doubled their lead but David Stephens cleared the ball off the line with 31 minutes played. 
The Bees’ best chance of the half fell to to the irrepressible Hyde who saw his fine flick deflect behind for a corner after his initial shot was palmed away. 
With 48 minutes played AEL made it 0-2 in fortunate circumstances as Tiago Targino robbed Jupp before rounding him and firing into the back of the net.
Last season’s UEFA Europa League contestants enjoyed the better of the second-half but after the hour mark the Bees took control.
Weston went close with a header before Hyde ran at the AEL defence and fired against the post from 25-yards.
From the rebound Marsh-Brown shot with the keeper in no mans land but the defender got across to block with what looked like a hand, the referee waved play on.
Luisma Villa and Mengerink were both introduced during the second period and both added to the Bees attacking threat, giving the coaching staff much to ponder moving forward.
Jon Nurse and George Sykes also entered the fray moments before Stephens saw his header well saved. 
With 89 minutes on the clock Mengerink picked up possession and drove at the AEL defence before firing low into the net.
He almost equalised just one minute after the restart but his 25-yard strike was palmed away with Vilcu heading over from the resulting corner. 
With pre-season over Barnet now turn their attention towards the Skrill Premier and their opening match against Chester FC at The Hive next Saturday. 
Barnet- Jupp, Yiadom, Vilcu, Stephens, Johnson, Roberto (Nurse 75), Weston, Byrne, Gambin (Mengerink 69) , Marsh-Brown (Luisma 63), Hyde (Sykes 75).
Subs not used – Barnes, Brown, Saville, Vose, Vilhete, Allen,.
AEL Limassol – Fergrouch (Georiou 80), Airosa (Theophilou 77), Kyriacou (Targino 45), Gaucho, Quiame, Dede (Nicolaou 61), Bebe, Sa (Ouon 45), Vargas, Monteiro (Sachetti 66), Edmar (Andoh 77) 
Subs not used – Edu, Embalo, Ohene, Romero, Carlitos.