Barnet Football Club



Barnet 1-2 Macclesfield

The return of Barnet’s number one failed to inspire the Bees who slipped to a 1-2 defeat against Macclesfield Town. 

The Bees made a bright start to the match and looked to have turned a corner after a recent run of poor results but after Marciano Mengerink missed from the spot Connor Jennings exploited their continuously frail defence. 

Seven minutes later Jennings got his second when he curled past Graham Stack from 30-yards. Mauro Vilhete pulled one back with 16 minutes to play but it would prove to be a false dawn for the Bees who are now without a win in five. 

Edgar Davids made four changes following Saturday’s defeat with Harry Crawford, Luke Gambin and Ahmed Abulla all dropping to the bench and Keanu Marsh-Brown missing out all together.

In came the former Ajax midfielder, Luisma Villa, Marciano Mengerink and Mauro Vilhete.

During the opening stages the decision to make changes looked like the correct one with quartet impressing during a dominant opening period.

With nine minutes on the clock the Bees had the perfect chance to take the lead when Mengerink snuck in front of Paul Turnbull and the defender brought him down for a penalty.

The Dutch forward stepped up and hit it hard and low but goalkeeper Rhys Taylor threw himself to his right to turn the ball round the post.

Eight minutes later Davids’ side almost took the lead from another set piece when Villa’s curling free-kick was palmed to safety by Taylor.

With 24 minutes played Barnet should have been awarded a second penalty. Weston slotted through Vilhete who squared the ball to Mengerink six-yards out, his shot looked destined for the back of the net but it smashed Turnbull’s hand and the referee somehow waved play on.

To add insult to injury just three minutes later the Bees went behind when they failed to deal with a Macclesfield free-kick and the unmarked Connor Jennings converted from close range.

After the restart Barnet once again began to dominate with Macclesfield posing zero threat to the Bees’ defence.

However, after seven minutes on the back foot they ventured forward and typically they doubled their lead. 

The danger looked to have passed when Anthony Acheampong cleared off the line but it was only scrambled as far as Jennings who curled the ball past Stack from 30-yards for his second of the night. 

Once again the home side pushed forward and dominated possession but both Curtis Weston and Mengerink were unable to take the chances that fell to them before the break.

Weston was back in the thick of it straight after the restart when he became the first player to receive a yellow card for a late challenge on Turnbull. 

On 53 minutes the away side could have taken a 3-0 lead but Jack Mackreth was unable to get his toe on the end of Peter Winn’s drilled cross. 

Ten minutes later the Bees had a golden chance of their own when substitute Luke Gambin pulled the ball back to Mengerink who shot wide from close range. 

With 16 minutes left on the clock Vilhete gave the bees hope when he latched onto Villa’s slick through ball and fired past Taylor at his near post. 

It wasn’t to be however for Davids’ side who have yet to win in September, they will get one more chance at The Hive on Saturday against Salisbury City.