Barnet Football Club



Barnet 2-0 Farsley Celtic

As It Happened:

The Bees kicked off the game at a bitterly cold Hive London with the opening minutes being dominated by Barnet possession. 

In the 12th minute, Charlee Adams had the first opportunity of the game shooting from just outside of the box only to be confidently punched away by Farsley Celtic ‘Keeper Elliott Wynne.

The Celt Army were able to counter-attack and Tyler Walton, whose goal secured a replay for his side up at The Citadel, weaved through the Barnet defence but could only put his shot wide of the post.

A better spell of possession for the Bees came from an inch-perfect pass by skipper James Dunne to the feet of Simeon Akinola but the Farsley Celtic defence were quick to close the forward down.

The Celt Army weren’t without their chances with Jack Higgins audaciously attempting an overhead kick with the ball finding him in the box.

The best chance of the half fell to the Bees however, when Fonguck slipped the ball through to Josh Walker who lifted it over Wynne but Higgins made it back in time to clear the goal-bound ball.

In the second half, the Bees started with plenty of attacking intent having two good chances within the first three minutes, the first falling to Fonguck, whose effort bent just inches past the post. The second, Dan Sparkes was just able to get a shot away whilst falling inside the penalty area but Wynne calmly parried the ball away.

With the pressure mounting on the Farsley Celtic defence, Higgins brought down Akinola and Barnet were awarded another freekick in a good position.

On the anniversary of his infamous freekick against Brentford last season, Sparkes cleverly dispatched the freekick low into the Farsley net to break the deadlock.

With momentum on their side, the Bees relentlessly kept the pressure on the Celt Army with chances coming from Walker and Mauro Vilhete before a rare chance for Dan Sweeney whose half volley forced Wynne into an impressive save.

In the following ten minutes, the away side were the better of the two teams having a number of chances that troubled Darren Currie’s side.

Farsley Celtic broke away with Walton causing the problems for the Bees defence once again but a well-timed challenge from Adams ensured that the score remained 1-0.

Barnet ‘Keeper Scott Loach was tested for the first time of the night after a dangerous shot following a short-corner routine from Farsley Celtic’s number nine, James Spencer.

Another chance for the National League North side came after a high cross that appeared to clear everyone but Elliott Johnson had to place his body on the line to block a shot that looked to be a certain goal.

In the last ten minutes of the game, a ball that seemed impossible to be kept in was by the Celt Army winger whose cross was cleared into the path of Spencer and he rattled the crossbar past a beaten Loach.

However, the game was put to bed in the 87th minute when Josh Walker tapped the ball home from five yards after Sparkes cut the ball back across the face of goal, meaning he secured both a goal and assist this evening.

The Bees were able to close out the final minutes of the game to secure their place in the next round of the Buildbase FA Trophy.

Loach, Johnson, Dunne (C), Adams, Sparkes, Akinola (Mason-Clark 68′), Fonguck (Alexander 78′), Vilhete, Elito, Walker (Edwards 88′), Sweeney

Unused Subs: Azaze, Tutonda, Box, Hernandez

What It Means:

The Bees have secured their place into the Third Round of the Buildbase FA Trophy and will face Barrow AFC on February 8th at The Hive London. 

What’s Next:

The Bees will turn their attentions back to Vanarama National League action as they host Hartlepool United on Saturday 1st February.