Barnet Football Club




Barnet secured a massive win at Underhill as goals from Jake Hyde and Dani Lopez secured a 2-0 win over Southend United.

The Bees came through a tense opening period unscathed and began to dominate before Jake Hyde broke the deadlock after 33 minutes.

It could have been more soon after but the Bees had to wait until the 83rd minute to seal the win as a combination of Edgar Davids and Lopez bundled it home.

The game began at a high tempo and the away side went close with three minutes played when Britt Assombalonga cut inside and shot wide.

Three minutes later the Bees had their first opportunity of the match via Mauro Vilhete. The youngster burst past the Southend defence but saw his curling effort saved by Paul Smith.

Kevan Hurst was the first player to receive a yellow card when his late challenge sent Clovis Kamdjo tumbling after seven minutes. Dani Lopez claimed possession from the free kick but his shot was tame and easily gathered by Smith.

On loan Watford striker Assombalonga continued to impress and on 13 minutes he evaded the sliding Kamdjo before shooting inches past the post.

Kamdjo was in the thick of it once more six minutes later as Graham Stack’s goal-kick sold him short and Southend seized possession. Matthew Lund robbed Kamdjo and the ball fell to Barry Corr but Stack redeemed himself to gather at the second attempt.

The Blues rallied and with 24 minutes played Assombalonga went close again but after a fine pass from Reeves his shot was saved by Stack.

Four minutes later Barnet broke with Lopez who found Fuller surging down the right. The defender crossed to the back post where Hyde was waiting but Ryan Cresswell headed clear at the last possible moment.

The Bees continued to pile on the pressure and Lopez almost volleyed them in front as the Southend defence struggled to hold on.

With 12 minutes remaining in the first-half the pressure finally told as Hyde rose unmarked at the back post to head home Byrne’s pinpoint cross.

The onslaught continued with the Bees one up and seconds after the restart Byrne fired over from 30-yards.

The half ended with a flurry of Barnet chances as Lopez headed over before Hyde and Vilhete failed to take advantage of a two on one situation.

Two minutes of time were added on and Barnet almost made them count as Hyde flicked a header against the bar.

The forward hit the woodwork early in the second-half too, luckily for him however this one missed as he flicked a header against his own post.

Barnet regrouped and went close through Lopez who cut inside before lashing a shot just wide of the post.

Byrne was next to test the shaky Southend defence but he was denied twice as Smith finally gathered the loose ball.

With 72 minutes played the Blues thought they should have had a penalty, twice! The ball came in and bounced off Stephens before Davids controlled and cleared, Southend appealed on both occasions but the referee waved play on.

Creswell had a golden opportunity to level with eight minutes to play but he was unable to convert Lund’s corner as the Bees scrambled it wide.

Moments later the Bees sealed the win as Edgar Davids crept in at the back post and slotted the ball beneath Smith. Lopez looked to have got the final touch but the Bees fans did not care one bit either way.