Barnet Football Club



Barnet Blog #16

A third draw in as many games and Barnet have very much become the draw specialists of the Skrill Premier.  
Whilst our 7th draw from 15 games is the highest in the division, all 2,143 fans at The Hive saw an action packed game against Wrexham.  
Anthony Acheampong opened his account for the Bees heading home an excellent Jack Saville cross. I have been impressed with Saville, who also crashed a late first half header against the bar, since his return to the side and hope he can kick on following recent performances.  
Barnet had opportunities to add to their lead and it looked like the Bees would see the game out and secure a second successive home win.  
Then Barnet conceded a late free kick outside of the area. We have conceded a fair few goals from set pieces this season and my heart sank. 
Unfortunately it was Groundhog Day as Dean Keates stepped up to curl the free kick beyond the despairing dive of Graham Stack.  
I thought it was especially harsh on Stack, who made a series of excellent saves during the match.  
There were still chances for the Bees to grab all 3 points. Mauro Vilhete came close before David Stephens headed agonisingly wide at the death. 
That was all after the small matter of 3 red cards in as many minutes. There was an unedifying mass kerfuffle (some mild mannered pushing and shoving hardly meriting the label "brawl") between most of the players, which resulted in Barnet’s Number 1 being sent off along with Wrexham’s Stephen Wright.  
Poor Edgar Davids must have hoped his red card days were behind him now that he no longer had to face Accrington Stanley.  
Johnny Hunt then put the "injury" into injury time doing his best Karate Kid impression to scythe down Curtis Weston. 
I was right in front of it in the West Stand and I can tell you it was a diabolical challenge.  
Curtis was lucky to escape with "only" severe lacerations to the shin and calf, not the leg break that was first feared.  Of course all at Barnet wish him a speedy recovery.
But in the final analysis, after 3 red cards and 2 goals, yet another quality strike had frustrated the Bees.  
Opponents seem to save their best goals for Barnet. As well as Wrexham’s equaliser, cast your mind back to the free kick at Alfreton or the long-range strike at Halifax. 
Even bottom of the table Hyde managed two incredible long range efforts at The Hive before Harry Crawford popped up with a late winner. 
I don’t think it is my imagination that the quality of goals we have conceded this season have been of a far higher standard than most teams could muster against us in League Two.
And so with another point on the board, the Bees march on to Hereford.  Not an easy place to go, but let’s hope we score a screamer or two of our own to get back to winning ways at Edgar Street.