Barnet Football Club




The Bees kicked off the match playing down the famous Underhill slope hoping a change in luck could help them bag their first win of the season.
Despite the Bees pushing a lot of players forward it was Aston villa that had the upper hand in the opening stages. The only real noteworthy chance of the first ten minutes fell to Barnet’s Zoe Lance whose shot from just outside of the box forced Villa keeper Natalie Courtney to tip over the bar. Courtney was forced into action again this time from a Cheryl Williams free kick again she could only tip over the bar. 
Despite their opponents having no major threat in the first fifteen minutes or so the Bees defence looked strong and competent when called upon. The Bees came close to going one up as a defensive error by Kelly Clarke was capitalized on by Cheryl Williams however the large defensive numbers inside the Villa box ensured that the ball was cleared. 
On twenty minutes a very strong Sherry McCue free kick from beyond the half way line was a real threat forcing Cherie Rowland into a good but fairly routine save. 
Villa made the first change of the game on twenty four minutes with Bethan Merrick making way for Emma Follis. 
On thirty-eight minutes Villa were awarded a throw in despite the ball appearing to come off one of their players; this angered captain Danielle Murphy who was subsequently cautioned for dissent. 
With just five minutes off the first half remaining Cherie Rowlands came out to clear a loose ball and clashed with Villa’s Kelly Clarke leaving them both injured however they were both able to play on after receiving on the field treatment. Vicky Boardman was also cautioned for dissent right on the stroke off half time.
An improved first half performance from the Bees meant the two sides remained deadlocked at half time.
The Bees emerged for the second half having made two changes; Zoe Lance and Jenny Kikomeko were replaced by Chontelle Lawrence and Holly Sandow, whilst their opponents remained unchanged.
Villa started the half the brighter of the two sides which included a Maddie Cuscack shot which forced Cherie Rowlands into another fine save. On the ten minute mark Alex Keown conceded a free kick which was headed in to the net at the far post by the Villa captain Dani Petrovic. 
Villa almost made it two as Emma Follis put the ball into the box for Kelly Clarke who was unable to get her foot to the ball. Villa made their second substitution of the game with Maddie Cuscack coming off for Katy Moran. Almost immediately after this Leanne Reidy bought down Kelly Clarke in the box giving Villa a penalty which was coolly converted by Katie Wilkinson who sent Cherie Rowlands the wrong way.
The Bees finally began to show their some attacking desire with twenty-five minutes with Vicky Boardman coming clear on goal but effectively passing the ball back to the keeper when she could have quite easily rounded her.
With little over fifteen minutes remaining yet another Barnet player was cautioned for dissent this time it was Abbie Prosser. Another clash this time between Alex Keown and Katie Wilkinson resulted in Keown coming off worse as the young defender left the field on a stretcher. 
Immediately after the break in play caused by the injury both sides made a change, with Sally Wade replacing the injured Keown and Villa’s Bethan McCue making way for Abbie Lee- Stringer. 
As the game drew to a close Erin Vaughn forced Cherie Rowland to make a diving save in what was to be the last real chance of the game with just two minutes of normal time remaining. 
As the clock ticked over into added time Gemma Rudman and Danielle Murphy were both shown red cards after an ugly confrontation, which saw Villa’s Natasha Merrit also shown a yellow card. As the game drew to a close Abbie Prosser was shown a second yellow card, meaning the Bees were now down to eight players.
The game finished 2-0 meaning the Bees remained bottom of the league and without a win.
The Bees continue their search for a win away to Manchester City LFC on  Sunday 18 November 2012 and are back at Underhill the following Sunday 25th November 2012 to face Watford LFC in a League Cup Group fixture (kick-off 2pm) with free admission for season ticket holders and Bees members.