Barnet Football Club



Beaconsfield SYCOB 1 – 2 Barnet XI

A Barnet Development XI ran out 2-1 winners over Beaconsfield SYCOB on Tuesday night, as a mix of players from both the first team and the youth team squads concluded their pre-season preparations with a useful run-out against a competitive Beaconsfield side.

Barnet XI: Sam Cowler (Kai McKenzie-Lyle 45), Harry Taylor (George Berks 45), Joe Gater, Trailist, Sam Muggleton (Keir Dickson 45), Luke Gambin (Fumnaya Shomotum 45), Jack Taylor, Jon Nurse (Charlie Kennedy 45), Trailist, George Sykes, Jamal Lowe (Nana Emmanuel 45).

Despite many players having never played together before, Barnet produced an impressive performance throughout the 90 minutes that was full of controlled possession and good combination play leading to the creation of numerous chances.

The visitors took the lead after quarter of an hour when Jon Nurse leapt above everyone to convert a long throw from Sam Muggleton from just inside the penalty area with a looping header that evaded the goalkeeper before nestling in the top corner.

Twenty minutes later, Barnet doubled their lead with one of the moves of the match. Luke Gambin, a constant threat cutting in from the right, evaded three challenges as he burst forward before sliding the ball in for Jamal Lowe. The striker then showed fantastic composure to take the ball around the goalkeeper before slotting home.

The goal capped an impressive performance from Lowe, who along with his strike partner George Sykes, proved to be a constant handful for the Beaconsfield defence.

Barnet were controlling the game, with 16-year-old Jack Taylor, a late substitute in the first team’s pre-season friendly against Luton Town recently, showing a maturity beyond his years in the centre of midfield.

Six changes at half-time did nothing to slow Barnet’s momentum, as the away side continued to create an array of chances with U18 player Fumnaya Shomotum playing a prominent role from an attacking midfield position.

Barnet’s dominance meant that Beaconsfield were reduced to counter-attacks for large portions of the game, with the Bees’ defence proving to be very solid and winning nearly everything that came their way in the air.

The only time in which they were undone came on 75 minutes, when Beaconsfield halved the deficit with a near-post header from a corner.

However, Barnet would hold on to claim an encouraging victory, with players from both the youth and first team squads using the extra minutes to show exactly what they can do ahead of the new season.