Barnet Football Club




Barnet suffered a 1-0 defeat against Dagenham & Redbridge and once the Daggers took the lead in the 17th minute the Bees rarely looked likely to level the scores.

The Bees made three changes to their line-up from the previous fixture, Clovis Kamdjo returned in central midfield, Yiadom on the right and Jon Nurse upfront were also starters.

Barnet’s best moment came in the opening moments, a tempting cross from the left by Nurse was met by Kamdjo but his header from close range did not hit the target. This was a good opportunity.

Before the home side went ahead Yiadom had a shot that Chris Lewington held at the second attempt and Jake Hyde had a drive from the edge of the box but it was the Daggers who soon occupied the commanding heights.

From some 20 yards Matt Saunders placed the ball in the top right corner and the Daggers were ahead, a well crafted and well taken finish.

Michael Spillane then headed over when well positioned and an effort from Luke Williamson rattled the crossbar as the home side sought to extend their lead.

The hope was that if the Bees could get to half-time trailing by a single goal they could regroup at the interval and push for an equaliser in the second period.

Early in the second half Edgar Davids did well out on the left and produced a  fine cross; but it looked as if Hyde was blocked by foul means from getting a header in on target.

The second half then resembled much of the first as the Daggers looked the most likely outfit to find the net; Graham Stack making a fine save from a looping header than looked destined to find its way into the net.

However with the lead such a slender one the Bees were not out of the game, although had they drawn level the Daggers would have had only themselves to blame, such was their dominance.

In the closing minutes the home side decided to hold onto their lead and retreated and defended deep.

This surprising move prompted the Bees to move forward and a cross from the left by Ricky Holmes was nearly met by Nurse in the six yard box which could have so easily levelled the scores.

The Daggers then thought better of this tactic and decided to force the play up to the other end of the pitch. This they did and the final whistle soon followed.

The Bees are at home to Burton Albion next Friday, with the game kicking-off at 8 o’clock.