Barnet Football Club



Luton Town 2-1 Barnet

Luton Town extended their unbeaten run to 18 matches with a 2-1 win over Barnet in incredibly poor conditions at Kenilworth Road.

Despite two pitch inspections during the build up to kick-off the match went ahead and Town raced into the lead as Andre Gray converted within the opening two minutes.

Paul Benson added a second before the break but despite Edgar Davids’ side equalising with just under 20 minutes to play the Hatters’ held on to extend their lead at the top of the Skrill Premier.

It took the Hatters under 90 seconds to take the lead as Luke Guttridge played in Gray who slotted the ball past Graham Stack for his 14th goal of the season.

With 12 minutes played Matt Robinson almost doubled their lead but his curling effort from just outside the box was tipped past the post by Stack.

The Hatters went close again from the resulting corner as Alex Lawless saw his effort cleared off the line by his own team mate Steve McNulty who was unable to get out the way.

16 minutes into the match things got even worse for Barnet when Stack slipped and injured himself trying to clear an Elliot Johnson back pass.

The goalkeeper attempted to carry on playing but with 23 minutes played he signalled to the bench and was replaced by Nick Jupp.

The Bees went close with 24 minutes on the clock as Joe Davis misjudged a long ball forward and Jake Hyde smashed a shot wide.

With 31 minutes played Luton doubled their lead as Gray flicked a Jake Howells’ cross to the back post where Benson fired the ball under Jupp.

Four minutes later the Bees almost pulled one back as Keanu Marsh-Brown pulled a shot wide before Scott Griffiths appeared to block a cross with his hand only for play to be waved on.

The first chance of the second-half fell to the home but they were denied superbly by Jupp who kept out Guttridge’s turn and shot.

The rain continued to fall and with 60 minutes played the referee stopped play to consult both teams as to whether play would continue.

After a lengthy stoppage the decision was made to play on with Town captain Ronnie Henry throwing his arms in the air to rally the Hatters’ in the stands.

With 19 minutes to go Barnet were given hope when Marsh-Brown went water skiing down the right flank before crossing to Hyde who made no mistake from close range.

The Bees threw everything forward in the latter stages but the Hatters remained dangerous on the break and they almost got a third when Benson had a shot saved by Jupp after the ball held up.

Three minutes were added on at the end but the Bees were unable to find an equaliser and it finished Luton Town 2 Barnet 1.

Luton Town: Tyler; Henry, McNulty, Davis, Griffiths; Robinson, Lawless, Guttridge, Howells; Gray, Benson.

Luton Town substitutes not used: Wall, Cullen, Justham, Whalley, Mawson.

Barnet: Stack (Jupp 23); Yiadom, Stephens, Saville, Johnson; Weston, Byrne; Marsh-Brown, Villa (Cadogan 76), Lopez (Crawford 59); Hyde.

Barnet substitutes not used: Abdulla, Acheampong.