Barnet Football Club



Martin: “We’re all looking forward to the weekend”

Martin Allen spoke to this morning, ahead of the Bees clash with Cambridge United on Saturday.

Reflecting on Tuesday night’s performance against Wolves, Martin said:

“I felt there was a need for certain players to come in and play, but also I wasn’t overly impressed with last Saturday’s performance against Bristol Rovers.

“Other players deserved the opportunity to play; if you don’t do it, someone else is going to get a chance.

“Some of the players took their chances and did very well on Tuesday night.

“Now we’ll see what team we can put together for Saturday’s game against Cambridge.”

The Barnet manager is looking forward to the match this weekend, saying:

“Richard Money has been able to bring in a lot of good players from their FA Cup run last year.

“We tried to sign some of those players.

“Unfortunately we can’t match what they can pay, after those two cup games against Manchester United.

“Two weeks ago I had a member of the Cambridge United staff offering us players that can’t get into their squad.

“So I thought that was quite interesting – they’re offering the players who aren’t good enough for Cambridge to us!

“They’re a strong team and they’ve got some good players.

“We didn’t do too well last week and neither did they.

“So we’re all looking forward to the weekend.”

Gary Waddock has re-joined the Bees, replacing departing coach Adrian Whitbread.

However he may not be too involved in the short term, as he recovers from a serious inner ear infection:

“Gary joined last week,” said Martin.

“He’s a good coach and a good man.

“The players like him and I like him, he’s very good on the training pitch.

“To let everybody know; immediately after the game in Bristol last week he was taken ill on the team coach.

“We took him to a hospital in Reading and he was seriously ill – he couldn’t walk, talk, eat or drink.

“He was in a bad way.

“We were all very worried about his condition, and he spent three nights in hospital.

“He got the all-clear on Wednesday morning and came home – he had an inner ear infection.

“I had a chat with him on the phone after the Wolves game.

“I don’t know how long he’ll need for rehab and to get the strength in his body back.

“We have taken him on, but I’m not sure how long it’s going to be before he can continue after his illness.”