Barnet Football Club



Match Pack: Barnet FC 5-2 Ebbsfleet United


The Bees came flying out of the blocks and dominated the early possession with Fonguck having the first effort on goal of the game, a chance that just sailed over the bar.

The Fleet’s first dangerous opportunity came through Alex Reid who was baring down on goal before a fantastic tackle from James Dunne took the ball away from the forward.

Reid was in again shortly after but fired wide thanks to the pressure of Callum Reynolds. The opening quarter of the game was an open affair that the Bees dominated large spells of. 

After numerous dangerous opportunities from the Bees, the opener finally came after 27 minutes. Jack Taylor audaciously shot from 30-yards, but his effort flew in via the underside of the bar, a certain contender for goal of the season.

Barnet’s lead did not last long when in the 36th minute, against the run of play, Stephen Obileye twisted and turned through the Bee’s defence and slotted the ball past Scott Loach to level the game at 1-1.

But the Bees were only on level terms for six minutes as a great team move, was delightfully finished by Simeon Akinola who put his side back in front. It was Akinola’s first goal since the win at AFC Fylde and his goal was richly deserved. 

Into the second-half, Fonguck once again had the best chance of the opening proceedings with a low cross that just evaded Akinola who was rushing into the six-yard box. 

Despite the early second-half domination, the Fleet levelled once again as Ugwu touched home from six yards out. 

Just moments later, Akinola was played through on goal and he once again delivered as he slotted the ball into the back of the net. The Bees number 14 showing no sign on nerves as he raced through one-on-one with Palmer. 

It was soon four goals for Currie’s side and what a goal it was! Josh Walker skipped through five Ebbsfleet defenders before having the skill and composure to poke the ball into the corner. It was a goal that the young forward deserved after his tireless efforts. 

With 19 minutes to play Akinola completed his hat-trick from the spot after Fonguck’s effort was handled in the area. In trademark fashion, the striker stepped up and calmly put his spot-kick away to complete a richly deserved hat-trick. 

Kevin Watson’s side had the ball in the back of the net shortly after but the referee waved it away for deliberate handball. 

Currie made his first substitutions of the half starting in the 83rd minute, a good testament to the individual performances of his side.

As the game began to settle late into the game, David Tutonda found himself in space on the left-hand side but his cross was unable to find anyone in front of the goal and shortly after, the referee blew his whistle to end what was a fantastic game for the Bees.

Barnet XI: Loach, Johnson, Reynolds, Dunne, J. Taylor, Akinola (Vasiliou 92′), H. Taylor, Fonguck (Vilhete 83′), Walker (Adams 84′), Tutonda, Sweeney.

Unused Subs: Matrevics, Boucaud.

Att: 776


Darren Currie made three changes as Akinola, Fonguck, and Tutonda came in for Elito, Mason-Clark and Alexander. 


Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 21.41.38.png


The Bees’ next fixture is up against AFC Fylde on Saturday 7th December with a 17:20 kick-off.