Barnet Football Club



Match Report: AFC Bournemouth 4-3 Barnet

Having matched each other up for half an hour, The Cherries scored four goals in 14 first-half minutes to take a 4-0 lead into the break – a scoreline they would think to have the game finished.

But the Bees were certainly not going down without a fight as Wraynel Hercules, Enrico Greco and Okem Chime all found the net to make for a thrilling end to the match.

The Cherries held on however to bring an end to the Bees FA Youth Cup journey for the season.

The Cherries dominated the ball in the early stages and they came agonisingly close to opening the scoring with just three minutes on the clock.

A smartly worked corner-kick found it’s way to Harvey Bertrand at the far post – his shot, however, was stopped on the line by Callan.

In what was becoming an even affair, both sides had chances to break the deadlock. Ross Helcke found himself in space, but his shot from distance bobbled wide of the post, before Christian Saydee expertly rolled his man and curled just the wrong side of the far stick.

Dan Senda’s side passed up a golden opportunity to score the opener as Wraynel Hercules accurately flicked around the corner to an on-rushing Chime. To the relief of the home side, Cameron Plain was quick off his line to put himself in the way of Chime’s shot and relieve the danger.

And just moments later, the hosts took the lead. Oliver James whipped a cross along the six-yard box and the impressive Saydee made no mistake to convert in off the crossbar.

Bertrand added a second four minutes later as the ball fell his way following a bit of pinball inside the box. The defender couldn’t miss.

The Cherries were now rampant and were well worth their lead, adding a third and fourth before half-time. Luke Pardoe was picked out in acres inside the box and he smashed beyond James Callan before Saydee, on the turn, rifled in off the far post to give the Bees a mountain to climb in the second period.

The Bees, however, were up for the task as they came flying out of the blocks and pegged Bournemouth back by one within a minute of the restart.

Hercules took hold at the edge of the box before steadying himself and finding the bottom left corner to open the Bees’ account for the evening.

And they didn’t let up from there. Chime was fouled inside the box to earn his side a penalty and Greco side-footed into the top corner from the spot to half the deficit, before Chime added a third for the Bees, as he beat two men inside the box before finding the bottom corner.

As the game again found it’s rhythm, Martyn Box threw his body on the line to deny the Cherries forward from adding their fifth of the game. In the proceedings, Boxy appeared to have picked up a very serious injury and was unfortunately stretchered from play.

Despite all of the Bees positive play in the second half, the Cherries held onto to their one-goal lead to progress to the Fourth Round of the cup, ending a campaign Dan Senda’s side can be proud of.


Team: Callan, Fowler, Box (Murphy, 69′) Tompkins, Tompkins, Edwards, Titchmarsh, Helcke (Bala, 87′), Chime, Hercules (Gleeson, 81′), Greco.

Unused Subs: Azaze, Ntalu, Kudrik, Fujah.