Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Barnet 0 – 1 Carlisle United

A first half strike from Jabo Ibhere was enough to seal victory for Carlisle United, as they took home all three points on a warm afternoon at The Hive. 
The forward’s close range goal mid-way through the first half was the difference between the two teams – Ibhere poking the ball into the net after a flurry of early opportunities for the visitors. 
Carlisle had the first chance of the match when Michael Raynes crashed a Nicky Adams cross against the bar in the 17th minute. 
Adams was at the centre of the action again a minute later when his pass found Jamie Devitt inside the box – the winger shooting wide of Jamie Stephens’ left hand post. 
The visitors’ early pressure eventually told in the 21st minute when Ibehre put the Cumbrians into the lead. 
Macaulay Gillesphey’s ball over the top found Adams on the left, who crossed for the forward to stab home from close range.
An acrobatic save from Stephens stopped Carlisle from going further ahead in the 25th minute – the stopper tipping Adams’ chip over the bar. 
Adams then curled a shot around the right post as the Blues continued to dominate the first half. 
The Bees’ first chance of the match arrived in the 34th minute when John Akinde flashed a shot wide of the left post after a one-two with Curtis Weston. 
Ibehre almost had his second seven minutes before the break when his header drifted inches wide of the right post. 
Barnet responded though Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro, who powered a shot over the bar after some good build up play from the home side. 
Both teams started the second half slowly, until Carlisle captain Danny Grainger drilled an effort wide of the left post with 57 minutes played.  
The Bees’ best chance of the match arrived in the 67th minute, when Bondz N’Gala was denied by a fantastic one-handed stop from United keeper Mark Gillespie. 
Substitute Shaun Batt then forced the custodian into a 73rd minute save – turning and shooting after picking up a right wing cross from Harry Taylor. 
Akinde had an opportunity to level the match when his low shot from the left side of the box was saved with eight minutes left to play. 
Martin Allen’s men pushed for an equaliser in the final stages of the game, but couldn’t find a way through a resolute Carlisle United defence. 
Next up for Barnet is a trip to MK Dons in the EFL Trophy on Tuesday night. 
BARNET: Stephens, H.Taylor, N’Gala, Nelson ©, Johnson, Nicholls (Vilhete 54’), Togwell, Watson (Batt 45’), Weston, Akinde, Akpa Akpro (Gambin 60’).

Subs not used: Vickers, Sesay, Muggleton, Champion.