Barnet Football Club



Match Report | Barnet 0 – 1 Colchester United

Barnet had the first chance of the half after just four minutes, Ryan Watson with a free-kick that was hit low and hard but was well saved by U’s keeper Sam Walker.

Eight minutes in and Barnet had another chance, Watson’s corner being swung at by a returning John Akinde, only for the ball to make its way to Jack Taylor, but his shot was well saved by Walker.

Colchester found it hard to get into the game in the open exchanges, but after 16 minutes Simeon Akinola recieved the ball on the edge of the area, but his effort went over the bar.

Half an hour in and Colchester rarely had the ball in the final third. A couple of driving runs from Akinde and Akinola didn’t come to anything, but Barnet looked by far the more dangerous of the two sides.

A free-kick on the left-hand side gave Barnet a chance to push men forward and into the area. Watson whipped the ball in, but he couldn’t find a man in black and amber.

Colchester had their first real chance of the half from a corner just before halftime. Doug Loft whipped the ball in and Taylor cleared off the line. The follow up was low, hard and very wide. Jamie Stephens a relatively comfortable man on his return to action.

A minute of stoppage time was announced, and Barnet had to chance to try and nick a goal before the whistle. A corner by Watson, but didn’t find a man, bringing the half to a close.

The second half didn’t start as quickly as the first, however, with the first real chance falling to Akinde after 53 minutes. Vilhete picked the ball up in the centre of the pitch, playing Akinde through, but his shot went across the face of goal. Akinola headed the ball down to set up Shaquile Coulthirst soon after, but his effort was well over.

Colchester had an opportunity from a corner, with most of their chances seeming to come from set pieces. The ball was headed down and nearly crept in, only for Taylor to clear it off the line. The away fans were adamant it was handball, but the referee waved play on.

The introduction of Alex Nicholls was swiftly followed by Loft picking up the first booking of the game with a bad challenge on Vilhete.

Brandon Comley then had a chance from a free-kick, around 25 yards from goal to try and give Colchester the lead. He decided to float the ball in instead, but it was headed out for a goal kick.

Vilhete was being fouled all over the park, picking up a free kick just outside the area, Comley also picking up a booking. Watson played the ball in, it eventually fell to Michael Nelson, but his shot was blocked.

In a game of very few chances, Coulthirst had a chance after Taylor’s layoff, but he could only find the side netting.

The U’s had the best chance of the game so far though, after 74 minutes, Szmodics got the ball in the penalty area and with his first touches, force Stephens to make his first real save of the game using his feet.

Colchester were pushing for a goal and broke the deadlock after 83 minutes, substitute Szmodics curling his effort home past a diving Stephens who had no chance.

Going into four minutes of stoppage time, Barnet were desperately looking for an equaliser. A free kick saw keeper Stephens go up to give the Bees another option. The corner was well cleared, and Barnet couldn’t find a way back, making it yet another defeat for the Bees.

Man of the Match (as chosen by Norwegian Teaching Group): Mauro Vilhete

Attendance: 2301 (610 away)

BARNET: Stephens, Clough, Santos, Nelson, Watson, Akinde (69’ Akpa Akpro), Coulthirst, J. Taylor, Tutonda (77’ Blackman), Akinola (61’ Nicholls), Vilhete.

Unused: Ross, Bover, H. Taylor, Fonguck.