Barnet Football Club



Match Report | Barnet 0 – 2 Grimsby Town

On a blustery day at The Hive London, both sides looked to take an early advantage. It was Grimsby though who broke the deadlock within five minutes. Matt following up on his midweek goal against Swindon Town with another, coming from a corner.

Grimsby dominated the open proceedings, Jamie Stephens making a comfortable saved from Ben Davies’ effort before tipping Jones’ header around the post.

Barnet looked to make the most of the set pieces they were awarded and when Ryan Watson’s freekick was flicked on by Shaquile Coulthirst, Benjy Aghadiuno had a chance, but his header down was well saved by James McKeown.

Piling on the pressure, Grimsby had yet another chance after 22 minutes, but Luke Summerfield’s right-footed strike was well saved by Stephens, by far the busier of the two keepers.

Summerfield looked to make the most of the Mariners possession, hitting another 25 yards strike which just looped over the bar.

As much as the Bees tried, they couldn’t manage to work a shot at goal. Jones hit over on the counter-attack just after the half an hour mark, inching closer and closer to a real clear-cut chance.

Dan Sweeney had a go from just outside the penalty area, but the half volley didn’t trouble McKeown.

Siriki Dembele won a freekick after 40 minutes, giving Grimsby an opportunity to send men forward. Summerfield played a low ball to Dembele, but the danger was soon cleared.

Both teams came back out after the break the way they went in, with neither side thinking a change was needed.

Dwight Pascal, who was making his football league debut, was challenged by Dembele down the wing and seemed to get something on the ball. However, through the crowd of players, Pascal receive a straight red card from referee Gavin Ward, reducing the Bees to ten men with over 40 minutes left to play.

Grimsby again put pressure on the Barnet back line, Stephens came out and slipped, leaving Diallang Jaiyesimi with an open goal, only for Charlie Clough to head off the line.

Jones picked up a yellow card just before the hour for unsportsmanlike behaviour, dribbling the ball away from Stephens as he tried to take a goal kick.

The Mariners then made a chance out of nothing, the ball was headed out of the area by Clough before Jones’ bicycle kick was well saved by Stephens. From the resulting corner, Jones went close with his header, but it was just over the bar.

Mauro Vilhete’s introduction looked to bring some freshness to the side, he battled his way through the defence to get a shot away, but his effort was comfortably saved by McKeown. Vilhete then had another chance in the 73rd minute, but it was well wide.

Grimsby made it two soon after though, a delightful run by Dembele on the right-hand side, playing the ball low to Jones, hit shot on the turn beat Stephens, deflecting off the head of Ricardo Almeida Santos.

The away side thought they’d made it three when Jaiyesimi headed home from a corner but was judged to be in an offside position 

With two minutes left to play, it was a case of whether the Bees could pull off the heroics of Tuesday night against Newport again. With four minutes of stoppage time, it certainly could be done.

But again, it was Grimsby who had a chance, JJ Hooper striking over after Jones did well to work the ball into the box. But it wasn’t to be, the visitors taking home all three points.

Man of the Match (as chosen by Rydal Communications): Charlie Clough

Attendance: 2033 (627 away)

Amber Big Draw Winning Number: 05308

BARNET: Stephens, Clough, Santos, Watson, Akinde, Coulthirst, J. Taylor (Vilhete 60’),

Tutonda (Blackman 84’), Sweeney, Aghadiuno (H. Taylor 54’), Pascal.

Unused: Ross, Nelson, Fonguck, Nicholls.