Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Barnet 0 – 3 Oxford United

Two goals from Callum O’Dowda helped Oxford United to a 3-0 victory over Barnet, despite a strong first half showing from the Bees.  
The winger finished neatly from close range in the 52nd minute, after latching upon a lose ball inside the Barnet box.  
O’Dowda then powered home his second goal after 65 minutes, following an initial save from Jamie Stephens. 
A late strike from substitute Danny Hylton made sure of the points for the visitors.  
It was Oxford who had the first chance of the match after just two minutes, when O’Dowda’s low shot forced an early save from Bees keeper Jamie Stephens. 
But Barnet responded when Luke Gambin’s right sided cross was headed narrowly wide by Curtis Weston on six minutes.
Andy Yiadom then burst into the box and drilled a powerful effort just off target seconds later. 
A shot from Weston tested Benjamin Buchel in the 17th minute – Oxford’s keeper got down to put the ball out for a corner. 
Barnet had a large portion of the possession and territory in the opening half an hour, but Oxford had two good chances on the counter. 
First Alex MacDonald charged down the left and shot at Stephens, but the keeper was quickly out of his goal and saved from the advancing forward in the 25th minute. 
Then Kemar Roofe cut the ball back to Liam Sercombe two minutes later – his low effort was kept out by the legs of Stephens and cleared away. 
Weston’s long range shot straight after half time was on target but straight at Buchel, as the Bees went in search of the game’s opening goal. 
However it was Oxford who ended up breaking the deadlock. 
Michael Nelson’s attempted clearance fell to O’Dowda inside the box, who slotted home from a tight angle to give the U’s a 52nd minute lead. 
On the hour mark Roofe cut in from the left side, before firing a shot high and wide of Stephens’ left hand post.
Oxford’s tails were up, and they doubled their lead with 25 minutes left to play. 
O’Dowda was played through on goal – his initial effort was saved by Stephens, but the winger found the back of the net with his follow-up attempt. 
Barnet tried to find their way back into the match, and Yiadom’s drive at goal was tipped over by Buchel after a neat turn and pass from Fumnaya Shomotun. 
But Hylton converted John Lundstram’s right sided cross in the 88th minute to seal a comprehensive win for high-flying Oxford.  
Next up for Martin Allen’s side is a trip to Exeter City on Friday at 3pm. 
BARNET: Stephens, Pearson, N’Gala, Nelson, Johnson, Yiadom ©, Sesay (Batt 56’), Muggleton (Togwell 67’), Weston, Gambin (Shomotun 64’), Akinde. 

Subs Not Used: McKenzie-Lyle, Champion, Randall, Vilhete.