Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Barnet 0 – 4 Millwall

Barnet exited the EFL Cup at the First Round stage, as the Bees were comprehensively beaten by League One side Millwall. 
A John Akinde own goal set the Lions on their way to victory, before Aiden O’Brien’s 35th minute strike gave the visitors a commanding half time lead. 
Steve Morison’s 74th minute header put the game out of sight, before a late Fred Onyedinma penalty completed the victory for last season’s beaten play-off finalists. 
While Millwall were clear winners, the score line could easily have been reversed if Barnet had taken their chances throughout the game. 
Akinde was fouled on the edge of the area by Joe Martin in the 12th minute, but the resulting free kick was curled out of play by Elliott Johnson. 
Unfortunately last season’s top scorer was involved in the action at the other end of the pitch ten minutes later – slicing Martin’s right-sided free kick into his own net from a few yards out. 
A last ditch tackle from Byron Webster was needed to stop Akinde getting a shot away on the half hour mark, as Barnet looked capable of cancelling out the Lions’ opener. 
It wasn’t to be though – Millwall went further ahead with ten minutes of the first half still to play. 
O’Brien latched onto a loose ball just inside the Bees’ area, before lashing a powerful drive past Josh Vickers and into the net.
The energetic Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro attempted an immediately response – flicking a header narrowly wide of the right post in the 36th minute. 
Barnet’s new striker then hit a shot straight at Millwall keeper Jordan Archer from a tight angle, just before half time. 
The Bees upped the tempo after the break, as Ryan Watson went close on two occasions. 
Archer had to make a diving save to tip Watson’s 47th minute shot away, before watching the midfielder’s low drive deflect wide three minutes later. 
Alex Nicholls had a great chance to bring Barnet back into the game, but he headed Curtis Weston’s cross wide of the right post in the 65th minute. 
Despite the Bees’ pressure, Millwall added to their goal tally for the evening. 
Substitute David Worrall’s corner was headed in at the near post by Morrison on 74 minutes, to effectively end any real hope of a Barnet comeback. 
That didn’t stop Michael Gash from doing his best to reduce the arrears – his 77th minute header from Luke Gambin’s corner was scrambled off the line by the Millwall defence. 
The Lions still had time to add a fourth when Michael Nelson’s foul on Onyedinma allowed the midfielder to pick himself up and slot home the final goal of the night.
Barnet are back at The Hive on Saturday when they take on Accrington Stanley – kick-off 3pm.
BARNET: Vickers, Weston, Nelson ©, N’Gala, Dembele, Nicholls (Amaluzor 74’), Togwell, Watson, Johnson, Akpa Akpro (Gambin 59’), Akinde (Gash 55’).

Subs not used: McKenzie-Lyle, Champion, Muggleton, H.Taylor.