Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Barnet 1-0 Weymouth


The Bees started brightly in the driving North London rain and could have been ahead inside the first 10 minutes as JJ Hooper and Wes Fonguck combined with our number 11 firing just over the crossbar.

It was the turn of Ephron Mason-Clark and Alexander McQueen to combine next for Peter Beadle’s side with the move finishing with full-back McQueen firing a ball across goal that couldn’t quite be touched home for the opener. 

That would be the best chances of the opening 25 minutes of the game at The Hive London, with neither side threatening in the difficult rainy conditions. The visitors had the ball for large spells but never really troubled Scott Loach all evening, as their wait for their first goal back in the National League goes on. 

With half-hour on the watch, Hooper almost made it four goals in his previous three matches, as he poked towards the top corner, but he saw his effort skim the crossbar on its way over. Up the other end, a long-distance strike from the Terras flew well wide of the Bees goal. 

The Bees took a well-earned lead on the stroke of half time as Fonguck made it two goals in as many home matches. In a free-flowing move involving several attackers, the attacking midfielder found the space before delightfully firing into the bottom corner with the aid of the inside of the post.

As the sides came back out for the second half, Beadle’s side were once again the dominant force at The Hive London. The Bees were playing some nice stuff going forward and nearly had a second after a neat give and go between James Dunne and Fonguck created space for our number 18, but this time his shot was blocked away for a corner. 

Seven minutes into the second half, we should have doubled our advantage as the prominent figure of Alfie Pavey rose highest from a McQueen free-kick, but his header flashed just over the crossbar. Pavey, who featured in the starting XI for the first time since last October put in a strong display and did everything but find a well deserved first Bees goal.

Our number nine had a glorious chance with just 20 minutes to go, as Mason-Clark slipped him through following a fast Bees break, Pavey’s powerful low effort was matched with a great save by Bycroft, who was impressive in between the sticks for the Terras all evening. 

Pavey soon made way for Antonis Vasiliou and the BFC Academy graduate should have written the perfect storyline as moments after coming on he raced clear one-on-one with Bycroft, unfortunately for the Bees number 33, he dragged his effort wide of the post. 

As the game wore on the visitors made a rare foray forward towards the Bees goal and with a late corner, it took a fantastic clearance from Ben Nugent to turn behind a dangerous whipped in cross. Nugent and Tyrone Duffus were dominant, vocal and powerful at centre half, ensuring that the Bees kept their first clean sheet of the campaign. 

Beadle’s side never really looked in danger of squandering their slender advantage and on another night could have won by several more than just the one they notched up at The Hive London.

We’ll now look to build momentum heading into another home clash on Saturday afternoon, as we welcome unbeaten Hartlepool United. 

Barnet: Loach, Duffus, Dunne (C), McQueen, Pavey (Vasiliou 83′), Hooper, Taylor, Fonguck, Binnom-Williams, Mason-Clark, Nugent. 

Unused Subs: Azaze (GK), Pascal, Petrasso, Tompkins.

The boss’ reaction:


Live stream:

For the attention of those Bees fans who experienced some technical issues with the stream this evening.