Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Barnet 1 – 1 Blackpool

A 93rd minute equaliser from John Akinde secured a well-deserved point for Barnet at The Hive. 
Mark Cullen’s sublime curling shot gave Blackpool a first half lead, but the Bees were rewarded for a dominant display when Akinde hooked home a dramatic leveller with just a minute left on the clock. 
Barnet began the game at a high tempo and had two half chances within the opening five minutes. 
First Curtis Weston drove a low shot straight at Blackpool goalkeeper Sam Slocombe, before Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro swept Elliott Johnson’s left sided cross wide of the left post. 
It took the Seasiders 11 minutes to muster their first shot at goal – Colin Daniel’s effort from distance was comfortably saved by Josh Vickers. 
Akpa Akpro’s bicycle kick drifted wide of Slocombe’s right post on 17 minutes, as the Bees continued to press for the game’s opening goal. 
But it was the visitors who took the lead, thanks to an unstoppable strike from Cullen. 
The forward turned and shot from the edge of the area with 23 minutes played – his effort flew past Vickers and into the top left corner. 
Barnet responded immediately and Akpa Akpro had a great chance to equalise two minutes later. 
His dipping shot almost dropped into the Blackpool net, but the Seasiders’ keeper performed an acrobatic save to tip it over the bar. 
The Bees came closer still when Alex Nicholls’ long-range effort cannoned off the under side of the bar on 34 minutes.
Akpa Akpro continued to torment the visitors’ defence, but his header came off the outside of the right post following a left sided corner in the 37th minute. 
Martin Allen’s side must have wondered how they went into half time a goal down, and they continue to dominate after the break. 
Summer signing Akpa Akpro was again at the heart of things; Tom Aldred did well to intercept his powerful drive with 51 minutes on the clock. 
Blackpool looked dangerous on the counter attack though – Brad Potts burst towards the Barnet goal and let rip with a shot that crashed against the right post on 62 minutes.  
The Bees kept attacking but struggled to break down a resilient Blackpool defence, despite dominating possession and territory. 
It took until injury time to make the breakthrough – Akinde popping up to fire home the equaliser and send the Barnet faithful into raptures. 
Martin Allen’s team will look to continue their unbeaten start to the league season when they travel to Crawley Town on Saturday. 
BARNET: Vickers, H.Taylor (Muggleton 80’), Nelson ©, Dembele, Johnson, Weston, Togwell (Gambin 53’), Watson (Batt 71’), Nicholls, Akpa Akpro, Akinde. 

Subs Not Used: McKenzie-Lyle, N’Gala, Champion, Vilhete.