Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Barnet 1 – 3 Hartlepool United

A sublime strike from youngster Fumnaya Shomotun wasn’t enough to give the Bees a share of the points against Hartlepool United.
Barnet took the lead when Shomotun’s solo effort beat Trevor Carson with 11 minutes played, but two powerful strikes from Lewis Hawkins gave Pools the advantage.
Nathan Thomas added a third mid-way through the second half, to send the visitors home with all three points. 
Hartlepool had the first chance of the match after two minutes – Thomas’ left footed shot flew marginally high and wide of Jamie Stephens’ right post.
The Bees responded four minutes later when James Roberts flicked Mark Randall’s corner just wide of the goal. 
Martin Allen’s side soon took the lead, with a moment of magic from Shomotun. 
The 18-year-old midfielder dribbled through the Hartlepool defence in the 11th minute, before firing an unstoppable shot into the top left corner of the net. 
Luke James’ 13th minute effort was saved by Stephens to keep the Bees in the lead – the keeper used his legs to stop the forward’s low shot from crossing the line. 
Hartlepool equalised just after the half hour mark; Hawkins let fly with a long range shot that beat Stephens and nestled into the top corner of the net. 
The midfielder then gave the visitors the lead with another effort from distance – this time Hawkins’ right-footed curling shot ended up in the bottom right corner, despite Stephens getting a hand to it. 
Elliott Johnson’s cross was headed over the bar by James Roberts in the 44th minute, but the Bees went into the break 2-1 down after an exciting first half. 
But it was Hartlepool who extended their lead with the first clear chance of the second period – Thomas picked up the ball on the right side of the area, before firing home United’s third in the 61st minute. 
A low free kick from Jake Carroll then ended up drifting just wide of the right post, with 20 minutes left to play. 
The Bees’ best chance of the second half came in added time when Carson kept out Mathew Stevens’ header at goal, following a left-sided cross from Luke Gambin.  
Barnet searched for an equaliser, but to no avail – they will now look to get back to winning ways when they travel to Newport County on Tuesday night. 
Barnet: Stephens, Yiadom ©, N’Gala, Nelson, Johnson, Weston, Randall (Muggleton 53’), Togwell (Gambin 60’), Shomotun, Roberts (Stevens 53’), Akinde.

Subs Not Used: McKenzie-Lyle, Champion, Sesay, Pearson.