Barnet Football Club



Match Report | Barnet 2 – 1 Morecambe

Barnet had the opportunity to make the first real chance from a free-kick, but Ryan Watson’s effort hit the wall and went out for a corner. Watson’s ball fell to the feet of Michael Nelson, but he wasn’t expecting it and Shrimps keeper Barry Roache could easily collect.

Elliot Osbourne had an effort soon after, but his strike was parried by Jamie Stephens, with the danger eventually being cleared.

The link-up play between John Akinde and Shaquile Coulthirst is always a delight to see, and when Ricardo Almeida Santos’ ball forward was cushioned down by Akinde, Coulthirst could get his shot on target, going just wide of the right-hand post.

Barnet were playing the ball around well in the middle and came close through Taylor, his long-range effort was well saved by Roache, with many of the home fans expecting to see the net ripple.

Campbell-Ryce was recalled to the side and proved his value, a lovely long-range effort curled precisely into the bottom corner, Barnet taking the lead after half an hour.

Soon after the Bees managed to double their lead, Akinde held the ball up and played through Taylor, slipping the ball past Roache comfortably. Barnet were ruthless, everyone on the pitch was putting in a shift and it clearly was paying off.

Campbell-Ryce was pulling all the strings down the left-hand side, his ball into the box just missing the head of Coulthirst.

Morecambe couldn’t find a real chance to test Stephen, Aaron McGowan cutting inside, but his shot was well blocked by Nelson. Just before halftime Michael Rose had a curling effort but was just over the bar.

Akinde was fouled on the wing but managed to shrug it off. He continued his driving run and found himself one on one with Roache, but couldn’t find the target, bringing the half to a close.

Morecambe made one change for the second half, Osbourne being replaced by Kevin Ellison and Adam McGurk off for Callum Lang as they tried to push on and find a way back into the game.

The Shrimps nearly got one back soon after, confusion between the Barnet backline allowed Vadaine Oliver make a block from an attempted clearance, which looped over Stephens and just clipped the crossbar.

Morecambe were really pushing the Bees and they got away with it yet again. A cross isn’t dealt with, allowing substitute Lang to bring the ball down, but his effort rolled into the grateful arms of Stephens.

Barnet were awarded a penalty after 67 minutes, Roache bringing Akinde down in the area. Akinde stepped up to take it and put it well over the bar, disappointing from last season’s top scorer.

Morecambe pulled one back with 20 minutes to go, substitute Adam Campbell with his first goal for the Shrimps, a lovely curling effort beating Stephens, despite him getting a hand on it.

Akinde had an opportunity to make up for his earlier penalty miss, driving down the left-hand side but his effort was well saved low by Roache.

Taylor nearly added to his tally, cutting inside and curling an effort that looked destined for the far corner, but Roache made a good save. Dan Sweeney followed up, but his effort went across the face of goal.

Morecambe kept pressing, Ellison broke down the wing and drilled a low cross into the area, but he couldn’t find a man in white.

Campbell was the most influential player for Morecambe after his introduction, his long-range effort, similar to Campbell-Ryce’s in the first half, nearly found the top corner.

Barnet were doing everything they could to stop the equaliser going into four additional minutes. Despite the constant Morecambe pressure, the Bees managed to hold on which seems them climb out of the relegation zone into 22nd on goal difference.

Man of the Match: Jamal Campbell-Ryce

Attendance: 1123 (74 away)

BARNET: Stephens, Clough, Santos, Nelson, Watson, Akinde (86’ Akinola), Campbell-Ryce, Coulthirst, J. Taylor Vilhete (53’ Sweeney), Blackman.

Unused: Ross, Brindley, Tutonda, Fonguck, Nicholls.