Barnet Football Club



Match Report | Barnet 2 – 1 Tottenham Hotspur Under-21s

Within eight minutes, Barnet thought they’d taken the lead when a cross was only parried by Spurs keeper Alfie Whiteman, Michael Nelson volleying but only finding the inside of the post.

The first real test for Craig Ross came a moment later, Shayon Harrison’s long-range effort was well saved by the Bees keeper.

The Lilywhites took the lead after a quarter of an hour, a low ball into the Barnet area by Keanan Bennetts was sweetly tucked away by Harrison at the first time of asking.

Barnet couldn’t find the response they were looking for, Andre Blackman laying off to Nana Kyei, but his cross could only find the grateful hands of Whiteman.

The Bees won a corner when Wesley Fonguck’s header was deflected over the back, From the cross, a free header from Nelson only just missed the target.

Nicholls came in from the right and hit a low drive from 30 yards forcing Whiteman into another save, the busier of the two keepers in the first half an hour.

Spurs captain Japhet Tanganga gave away a free-kick on the right-hand side. It was whipped in by Ryan Watson, but couldn’t find a man in black and amber.

Another free-kick from a dangerous position gave Watson the option to shoot. A wonderful effort just clipping the top of the crossbar with Whiteman well beaten.

Barnet had the majority of possession, but couldn’t find that killer ball, with most of their opportunities coming from set pieces, something for both sides to think about during the half-time break.

After the break Barnet got an instant reply, a ball in from Vilhete had the Spurs defence tracking back and Christian Maghoma turned the ball into his own net.

Tottenham had their chances though, Harrison with a solo run from his own half, but his shot could only find the side netting.

Barnet has some more fortune with the goal that put them ahead. Whiteman was put under pressure by Nicholls, who’s sliding tackle found the back of the next. The turnaround coming in just 12 minutes for the Bees.

Shaquile Coulthirst had the chance to make it three when his effort from just outside the area was just over the bar.

Nice play by both Vilhete and Watson gave Kyei an opportunity, but his effort was saved high by Whiteman on the hour mark.

Vilhete and Kyei then linked up again, with Kyei producing some fine footwork to find some space in the area, but his shot across goal was just wide of the far post.

The introduction of David Tutonda and Justin Amaluzor gave from freshness to the Bees side with just under 20 minutes to play.

Spurs rarely tested Ross’ goal in the second half, but the introduction of dangerman Kazaiah Sterling gave the Lilywhites a new attacking threat.

Again, Barnet were on the attack and should’ve made it three. A low ball in from the right to Tutonda, his shot from around 12 yards out was just over the bar, a wonderful opportunity.

Spurs were still looking for an equaliser late on, Sterling effort beats Ross but Blackman clears off the line.

Ultimately the game was long gone from Spurs, a dominant second half performance from the Bees securing the win.

Man of the Match: Mauro Vilhete

Attendance: 445

BARNET: Ross, Santos, Nelson, Watson, Coulthirst (Amaluzor 71’), H. Taylor, Kyei (Tutonda 71’), Fonguck (Coker 81’), Vilhete, Nicholls, Blackman.

Unused: K. McKenzie-Lyle, Payne, Aghadiuno, Pascal.