Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Barnet 3-1 Grimsby Town

The game took 20 minutes to really get going, with both sides taking their time to settle initially. 
In the opening exchanges the Bees looked to release Akinde upfront at the earliest opportunity.
Campbell-Ryce’s free kick on 7 minutes was aimed towards the heads of Clough and Nelson, forcing the Grimsby defence into some early work.
On 11 minutes, Nelson tried from range with a 30 yard effort that flew over the bar.
Barnet continued to assert their domination on the game, playing the ball through the centre of the pitch with confidence and control.
The Bees’ hard work was rewarded on 20 minutes when Nelson’s long ball was met by Akinde’s head to lob McKeown in the Grimsby goal.
It was Akinde’s 26th of the season, in what has been a fantastic scoring campaign for the striker.
Barnet continued to pile on the pressure, with Akinde almost grabbing a second a few minutes later when Campbell-Ryce crossed for the striker. 
Jack Taylor then played Simeon Akinola through on goal for what appeared to be a simple chance, but McKeown was equal to it from 6 yards. 
With the Bees in full control, Campbell-Ryce’s cross then hit the bar on 30 minutes, to further increase Grimsby concerns.
Akinola continued to press the Bees forward, driving the ball from his own half deep into Grimsby territory.
Another low cross from Campbell-Ryce on 34 minutes set up Fonguck for a side footed shot which was again saved. 
On 40 minutes, David Tutonda crept his way into the Grimsby box and half volleyed a superb effort into the Mariners net for the Bees’ second of the afternoon, and Tutonda’s first in a Barnet shirt.
As the half time whistle blew, the Bees were in total control and deserved to be in the lead. 
In the second half it was more of the same with Barnet taking the game to Grimsby.
Another long ball from Nelson led to Akinde’s shot lobbing the Grimsby keeper, only then to be cleared off the line at the last minute.
Campbell-Ryce was then fouled on the edge of the box following some excellent Barnet attacking play. 
From the resulting free kick, Akinde’s back heel set Weston who smashed home from 6 yards. 
The Bees were 3-0 up and flying – playing with freedom and expression across all areas of the pitch.
They continued to spread the ball from left to right Campbell-Ryce, Tutonda and Jack Taylor all involved in fast counter attacks.
On 59 minutes, Campbell-Ryce cut in on his right foot, but his effort couldn’t quite find the right hand corner of the goal for another fine Bees chance. 
A few minutes later, Akinde fired from close range but his effort was well blocked by the Mariners defence.
A consolation goal from Grimsby on 73 minutes couldn’t stop Barnet, who continued to dominate the game. 
Another Akinde chance went narrowly wide on 75 minutes as the home side continued to press for more goals.
Some fine Tutonda defending on two occasions kept the Grimsby attack out, as Barnet looked to see out the game.
At full time the Bees were clapped around the pitch by the home faithful following a game which they controlled from the outset. 
Three well worked goals meant the Bees were never really challenged, in a convincing and deserved victory.
Final Score: Barnet 3-1 Grimsby Town
Attendance: 3247
The Bees’ final game of the season is on Saturday 6th May when they take on Crewe Alexandra away, kick off 5:30pm.