Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Barnet 3 – 4 Yeovil Town

A brace from John Akinde wasn’t enough to stop Barnet falling to a late 4-3 defeat, following a pulsating encounter at The Hive. 
Michael Gash opened the scoring for the Bees in the 22nd minute, before Akinde won and scored a 51st minute penalty. 
But Yeovil fought back and a low Matthew Dolan drive enabled them to get a foothold in the game. 
Akinde’s 61st minute header extended Barnet’s lead, but goals from Nathan Smith, Francois Zoko and Harry Cornick sealed the win for the Glovers. 
It was Akinde who had the first chance of the match – his fifth minute header from a Luke Gambin corner was cleared by Ryan Dickson before it could cross the goal line. 
The Bees then took the lead midway through the first half, with Gash scoring his tenth goal of the season. 
The ball ran through to Pearson on the right wing – his low cross was fired home by the targetman in the 22nd minute, to give Barnet the advantage. 
Dolan’s looping cross almost dropped into the net on the half hour mark, with Stephens doing well to touch it onto the woodwork. 
But Yeovil’s best chance of the half fell to Mark Laird, who headed a left sided cross over the bar from a few yards out in the 39th minute. 
A Gambin shot from distance was comfortably saved by Artur Krysiak just before the break, as the Bees went into the interval with a well deserved lead. 
The Glovers began the second period strongly though, and Stephens’ made a diving save from Zoko in the 46th minute. 
Leroy Lita scooped a shot over the bar four minutes later, but it was Barnet who ended up doubling their lead. 
Top scorer Akinde was clipped inside the box by Alex Lacey, and calmly rolled the resulting penalty into the bottom right corner for his 21st goal of the campaign. 
Yeovil weren’t behind for long though, as Dolan drilled a low shot past Stephens in the 54th minute to pull one back for the visitors. 
The second half was played at frenetic pace, and both sides soon had another goal apiece. 
Barnet made it 3-1 in the 61st minute when Akinde headed a long ball over the top past Krysiak, but were pegged back a minute later when Smith finished from close range. 
The Bees looked to extend their lead, and Akinde fired a powerful low shot wide of the right post on 72 minutes. 
But it was Yeovil who ended up scoring the equaliser – Zoko drilling a 76th minute shot past Stephens from the edge of the area. 
Barnet went in search of a late goal to regain the lead, but incredibly it was the visitors who finished off a three goal comeback by finding the net through substitute Cornick in stoppage time.
Martin Allen’s men now head to Crawley Town for the final match of the season next Saturday.
BARNET: Stephens, Pearson (Shomotun 35’, Champion 70’), Nelson, Dembele, Johnson, Yiadom ©, Togwell, Taylor (Muggleton 78’), Gambin, Gash, Akinde. 

Subs Not Used: McKenzie-Lyle, N’Gala, Sesay, Batt.