Barnet Football Club



Match Report | Barnet FC 3-0 Chesterfield

Akinde opened the scoring in the first half before two late goals from Brindley and Nicholls meant the Bees bowed out in impressive style.

There was a succession of attacking action for the Bees on 19 minutes as Akinde saw his shot saved and Coulthirst’s effort on the follow up was blocked before Weston dragged his attempt inches wide of the post.

Chesterfield did find the net minutes later through Jacob Brown but the assistant referee judged it to have been offside.

The Bees did have another chance to break the dead-lock just past the half-hour mark when Brindley’s corner found the head of Santos but his effort was well saved.

Five minutes later and Weston saw his effort from the edge of the box cannon off the bar, falling to Akinde on the opposite corner of the area who also drilled his effort towards goal but it was well saved.

However, Martin Allen’s men did find the net on 42 minutes when Weston’s free-kick floated into the box and was nodded home by John Akinde.

It was a very convincing first half performance from Barnet full of fight and determination to retain their EFL status.

Despite a positive start to the second period for the visitors, it was Barnet who came closest yet again on 52 minutes when Sweeney nodded Brindley’s corner inches wide of the post.

The Bees came close from a corner yet again four minutes later when Nelson latched onto a corner from the left but his volley flew over the bar.

Alex Nicholls floated in a lovely cross towards goalscorer Akinde but the striker couldn’t add to his tally as the ball deflected out for a corner.

However, the latter came even closer to claiming his second of the game moments later with another convincing header but his effort looped over the top of the Chesterfield bar.

The Bees continued to dominate in the final third with 15 minutes remaining when Coulthirst let rip from close range but his cannoned effort found the side netting.

Barnet’s second half attacking threat soon paid off on 80 minutes when Richard Brindley struck low and hard from the edge of the area to double the Bees’ advantage.

Martin Allen’s men weren’t finished there though as Alex Nicholls netted a beauty on the half volley with only two minutes of normal time left on the clock.

Barnet have looked a different team of late with results proving just that however, the remarkable come-back wasn’t meant to be.

Thank you for your support this season.

Attendance: 5539 (563 Chesterfield)

BARNET – Ross, Brindley, Santos, Nelson (Watson 89′), Weston, Akinde, Coulthirst (J. Taylor 87′), Tutonda, Nicholls (Shomotun 90′), Akpa Akpro, Sweeney.

Unused subs – Legg (GK), Clough, Bover, Payne.