Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Crawley Town 1 – 1 Barnet

John Akinde’s early goal helped Barnet to their second away draw of the season at Broadfield Stadium.
The forward’s third minute effort earned the Bees a well-deserved half time lead, but Crawley Town hit back in the 66th minute when Joe McNerney levelled for the Red Devils. 
Barnet opened the scoring with their first chance of the match; Akinde raced onto Sam Togwell’s powerful header, before firing an unstoppable shot into the top left corner of the net. 
It was the first of three chances for the striker during a sustained period of pressure from the Bees. 
Last season’s top scorer powered a shot at goal from the right side of the box on eight minutes, but Crawley keeper Yusuf Mersin was able to turn it around the near post for a corner. 
An even better chance fell to Akinde four minutes later when he headed Elliott Johnson’s cross inches wide of the right post. 
Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro connected with a Ryan Watson corner in the 24th minute, only to see his near post header cleared off the line by Crawley captain Jimmy Smith. 
The home side had their first clear chance of the match on 28 minutes – Josh Vickers diving to his left to palm away Josh Payne’s long-range drive. 
A well placed pass from Michael Nelson found Akinde just after the half hour mark, but his low shot flew agonisingly wide of the right post from a tight angle.
Akinde was soon at the centre of the action again – his 40th minute shot was saved by Mersin after a neat exchange of passes with Alex Nicholls. 
The opening stages of the second half were much quieter than the explosive start to the first period. 
It took until 64 minutes for either team to create a chance, but it was the home side who sprung to life with just over an hour played. 
First McNerney’s header was acrobatically saved by Vickers, before the keeper had to touch Smith’s free kick over the bar a minute later. 
Crawley Town found a way past the Bees’ defence with their third chance in quick succession – McNerney heading in at the far post after James Collins’ effort had cannoned back off the crossbar. 
Barnet fought back and went close when Akpa Akpro shot wide of the left post in the 69th minute. 
Bira Dembele had two headed chances to win the match and substitute Mauro Vilhete’s driven effort flew narrowly wide with three minutes left to play.
The Bees threw everything at Crawley Town in an attempt to take home all three points, but had to settle for a draw after Michael Nelson’s powerful shot was deflected behind for a corner in the final minute of the game. 
Next up for Martin Allen’s men is a home clash with Carlisle United at The Hive. 
BARNET: Vickers, H.Taylor, Nelson ©, Dembele, Johnson, Nicholls (Muggleton 77’), Togwell, Watson (Vilhete 56’), Weston, Akpa Akpro (Batt 77’), Akinde. 

Subs Not Used: Stephens, N’Gala, Champion, Tomlinson.