Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Harrow Borough 0-4 Barnet FC

Four goals from the Bees secured the Harrow Cup at Earlsmead in the final pre-season friendly.


Harry Kewell’s side began their final pre-season match brightly and came close to taking the lead after two minutes when the ball was whipped in towards Daniel Powell. The experienced frontman rose highest to beat his man but headed down into the goalkeeper’s hands.


Shortly after, the Bees were deservedly ahead when a long throw-in dropped into the six-yard box falling to Mason Bloomfield who poked the ball home from close-range.


Harrow Borough looked to get level in the 13th minute when their number nine was fed the ball on the edge of the box. He beat his man only to see his curling effort towards the far post rebound off and wide. 


As the first-half approached the mid-way stage, the visitors came very close to doubling their lead when Bloomfield took the ball down the right side before picking out an unmarked Adam Marriott, who volleyed just wide of the target.


Powell looked to test the host’s resilience once again when he brought the ball into the 18-yard box. Our newest recruit dropped a shoulder and fired a powerful effort towards the far corner, however his effort was beaten away by James Callan in Harrow Borough’s goal.


The Bees made five changes at the break, including Ephron Mason-Clark who made an instant impact off the bench. The winger picked up the ball from inside of the box and emphatically fired it into the roof of the net to give the Bees breathing space. 


Harry Kewell’s side continued their dominance at the start of the second-half and were denied by Callan once again. Strong strikes by Tasdemir and Flanagan were palmed away by the young stopper.


The Bees really imposed themselves as the second-half went on and scored a deserved third when Ben Nugent found space inside the penalty area. The centre-half looked up and dinked a beautiful effort over the ‘keeper and into the back of the net.


The Bees put the game beyond doubt in the 70th minute when Granville floated over a delightful corner to Trialist B who volleyed it home from close-range, high into the roof of the net, to extend the lead to four. 


Trialist B almost added a fifth just before the full-time whistle but his dipping header from a corner rebounded off the outside of the post and out for a goal-kick, leaving Harry Kewell’s side to end pre-season in victory and pick up the Harrow Cup. 


Barnet: Trialist GK1, Trialist A, Jamie Turley (Ben Nugent 45’), Reiss Greenidge, Josh Doherty, Ben Richards-Everton (Harry Taylor 45’), Kian Flanagan (Sam Granville 68’), Mitch Brundle (Josh Payne 45’), Daniel Powell (Trialist B 45’), Adam Marriott (Serhat Tasdemir 45), Mason Bloomfield (Ephron Mason-Clark 45’).