Barnet Football Club



MATCH REPORT: Hartlepool 0-2 Barnet

Barnet came out strong with early chances for the Bees coming in under 12 minutes. 
John Akinde headed just over from close range, and from the resulting corner skipper Michael Nelson hit his half volley against the post from the edge of the area. 
Jack Taylor then popped up on 18 minutes with a left footed shot from outside of the box, firing just wide. 
The Bees kept pressing and on 23 minutes Akinde fired his shot wide of the right hand post to pile more pressure on Hartlepool.
Curtis Weston then had his effort blocked from inside the box a few moments later, with the attacking momentum all in the Bees’ favour. 
10 minutes later, Shomotun sent his shot wide from the right hand side of the box – the youngster looking sharp all half. 
Ruben Bover and Jack Taylor both had good efforts a few moments later – Taylor trying to chip the Pools’ keeper from outside the box.
Just before the break, Jamal Campbell-Ryce missed his attempt at the Pools’ goal, completing the first half onslaught.
Hartlepool somehow survived Barnet’s pressure and went into the break level.
In the second half it was more of the same from the Bees, pressing forward at pace and with confidence. 
Two quick efforts were saved from an exciting looking Shomotun on 50 minutes, with the Bees hunting for their first goal. 
The Bees made a double change on 65 minutes, with Akinola and Champion replacing Shomotun and Bover – a change that would help seal the game. 
The deadlock was finally broken on 66 minutes when Weston played through Akinde who buried the ball home for his 25th goal of season and 48th in the Football League for Barnet, making him our all time top goalscorer.
Barnet didn’t stop there, Campbell-Ryce went close a few moments later, before he turned provider with some excellent work to release Akinola for the Bees’ second on 71 minutes.
The Bees were now cruising, playing with confidence and stroking the ball across the field.
Akinde again went close, going one-on-one with the Pools’ keeper before having his shot blocked, despite Campbell-Ryce being in a better shooting position. 
A penalty miss from Akinde late on couldn’t dampen the Bees’ spirits, as Barnet saw out the game 2-0 winners.
No-one watching could argue that it wasn’t a deserved win for the Bees, with Eames’ side dominating from the start in a game that could have seen them score 5 or 6. 
Final Score: Hartlepool 0-2 Barnet
Attendance: 4208 (203 away)