Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Morecambe 4 – 2 Barnet

Barnet endured a tough trip to the Globe Arena, as two early goals from Morecambe helped Jim Bentley’s men to a 4-2 victory. 
The Shrimpers took the lead after just a minute when top scorer Shaun Miller nipped in behind the Barnet defence to fire home his 13th goal of the season. 
Morecambe then doubled their advantage seven minutes later, with Miller at the centre of the action once again.
The forward was fouled by Graham Stack inside the box, before placing the resulting penalty into the bottom left corner of the goal.
Alex Kenyon’s header two minutes into the second half gave the home side a commanding lead, and put the game out of sight for the Bees.  
Michael Gash pulled one back for Barnet when he powered a shot past Morecambe keeper Barry Roche in the 70th minute, but Cole Stockton drilled in the Shrimpers’ fourth of the afternoon to seal the win with two minutes left to play. 
There was still time for one more goal though, as Gash drove a low shot into the bottom right corner in the final minute of the match. 
Barnet did have chances to get back into the game, following the home side’s early goals. 
A Sam Muggleton cross was met by Andy Yiadom in the 15th minute, but his header was straight at Roche and easily saved. 
Luke Gambin cut in from the left and fired in a low effort two minutes later, but the Shrimpers’ custodian was again equal to his attempt. 
A 19th minute cross from John Akinde was then fired wide by Yiadom, before the striker had a chance of his own – heading James Pearson’s right sided cross over the bar.
Akinde dragged another shot wide of the left post just before the break, as Barnet went in search of the goals needed to pull them back into the match. 
A long range effort from Luke Gambin was palmed away by Roche mid way through the second half, minutes before Gash’s opened his account for the day.
Substitute Mat Stevens had a late chance for the Bees – his 82nd minute shot was saved on the line and scrambled away by the Morecambe defence.
This wasn’t a vintage Barnet performance though, and it was difficult for Martin Allen’s side to find a way back into the game after conceding two goals so early in the match. 
Next up for the Bees is a home clash with London rivals Leyton Orient next Saturday.
BARNET: Stack, Pearson (Gash 45’), Muggleton, Sesay, N’Gala, Champion, Togwell, Randall (Vilhete 45’), Yiadom ©, Gambin (Stevens 73’), Akinde.

Subs not used: Stephens, Dembele, Nelson, Taylor.